cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Synchrony MC/Visas worth getting?

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Any Synchrony MC/Visas worth getting?

Since OP already has a Sallie Mae and Freedom and some other cards there, I don't see any advantage to OP having that BP Visa. Just saying.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 21 of 41
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

Since OP already has a Sallie Mae and Freedom and some other cards there, I don't see any advantage to OP having that BP Visa. Just saying.

I second this. There seems to be very little point to the BP card for this poster.

Message 22 of 41
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Not to mention that OP has some high limit cards already, so if that's the main purpose in getting it, I don't see it working for OP either from that perspective. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 23 of 41
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

I'm assuming you read my comments in the other thread. I didn't mention Sam's Club MC though. That card IMO is the best one they have if you're already a Sams Club member. Are you looking for rewards speciically or just another utilization buffer?

Agreed... I'm not a huge fan of Synchrony... they are the king of store cards/rebuild cards.  They do have a few good cards though that are useful once you build a solid profile...

I got my $2500 Sam's Club MC last month and have had a $7500 Care Credit since 2013.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 24 of 41
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

I second this. There seems to be very little point to the BP card for this poster.

was just a suggestion..Everthing else had already been mentioned. 

Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have read that the ebates visa is a good card to have
Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

The ebates card looks OK... but the problem is that there are other cash back sites that routinely offer higher returns, so the extra 3% you get from their card may or may not be a wash. Also, they pulled EX for me when I applied, so maybe something to consider if you protect your EX like Fort Knox.

Also, the downside with the Ebay MC is their point values are substantially less than 1:1. I don't remember the exact math, but I remember it was enough where even I was like, nah that card isn't worth applying for.  I think the Sam's MC is really the only cobranded card worth having from Synchrony, but obviously not if you don't shop there.

Message 27 of 41
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Ya I just can't see a use for the Ebates card honestly with my profie.. Pretty much have every category covered w/regards to a card other than an hotel card...  Can't really think of anything else I really need at this point other then signup bonus cards.. Let my credit age until a nice one comes that is to nice to pass over regardless of syncrony or not...  I might purge my Cap1 QS that was started out at 300 and get the real QS hopefully with a line of 5-10k, no need for venture..  That will be the future if I go for that card..  This is coming from someone that hates Cap1, but the 2k line on that card is just killing me so it needs to be closed and opened in a prime fashion.  Also venture one is pointless as it was a PC, but one of my oldest accounts so not closing that although I would if it wasnt from 2004..

Think I am still over 6 years AAoA on TU/EX and like 5 on EQ...  so still in good shape overall but to many new accounts.

Message 28 of 41
jwduke
Regular Contributor

They are DEFINITELY NOT a card you want to cary a balance on...They are a good card for 0% interest deals, but be sure you pay off in 11 months, as Synchrony seems to use a 11 month calendar.

Yes I am a person that hates their business model, as they seem to prey on people with limited credit. BUT WHY in sam he!! (Moderator sorry for the cuss word, but!) do I have to pay the same interest rate as a guy with poor credit? Synchrony refuses to answer that question...

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 798 (02/21/18)
Goal Score: 800+ All Three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 29 of 41
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@jwduke wrote:

They are DEFINITELY NOT a card you want to cary a balance on...They are a good card for 0% interest deals, but be sure you pay off in 11 months, as Synchrony seems to use a 11 month calendar.

Yes I am a person that hates their business model, as they seem to prey on people with limited credit. BUT WHY in sam he!! (Moderator sorry for the cuss word, but!) do I have to pay the same interest rate as a guy with poor credit? Synchrony refuses to answer that question...

Kinda why I applied for the Ring as wel 8% apr... If I have to carry a small balance after the promo APR% for my procedure is done I have a 8% card I can BT to.. Kinda my thought pattern on it, granted I have several other cards now that have 0 APR% for the next 15 months as well, so can juggle stuff around if needed.. 

There is a bit of logic to my madness of what cards I apply for.. Each serves a purpose other then the Venture One, but my oldest account so has to stay Smiley Sad.. Pretty worthless otherwise.. Although it does have a 12% apr, so not to bad I guess

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.