cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advantage to AMEX Platinum vs AMEX Green?

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Re: Any advantage to AMEX Platinum vs AMEX Green?

But they have to be swipped? Or online is ok too?

Also, do you know if AMEX does a soft or hard pull on a new card application if you are already an AMEX card holder?

Message 11 of 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

But they have to be swipped? Or online is ok too?

Also, do you know if AMEX does a soft or hard pull on a new card application if you are already an AMEX card holder?

Online counts as well I believe. I think it just means 20 or 30 seperate purchases per statement. 

the hp/sp is a ymmv thing. All approved applications to amex are a HP, however, sometimes for current amex members, you will only receive a SP if you are denied. 

Message 12 of 15
carlosjgg
Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

I have both an AMEX Platinum charge card and an AMEX Green charge card. The Platinum has a $450 annual fee while the Green has a $95 annual fee. I know the Platinum gives you $200/year in airline fee refunds, which is nice and lounge access, but it's not really something I've been using. Are there any other advantages Im not aware of or should I go ahead and cancel the Platinum?

most of the benefits of platinum are for travel like global entry, lounge access, airline credit, hotel upgrades, upgrade to spg gold, no FTF so if you don't travel much is not worth the af

Chase sp 5k c---------------------------Care credit 4500 cl
Chase mileageplus explorer 5k ---Citi diamond p 2k
Chase mileageplus club 15k ------ Discover it 1.5k
Amex ed 5k -----------------------------Lowe's 10k-----Dinersclub mc 5k
Amex gold npsl plus a 35k cl--------BestBuy 2.1k--Kay's 5k
Sam's mc 4.5k --------------------------Jared 6k
Message 13 of 15
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Zero reason to have both the Green and Platinum.

If you don't use the Platinum benefits and want to have a charge card keep the Green.  If you use the Platinum then keep the Platinum and get rid of the Green.  If you don't care about having the charge card at all and dont use the benefits of Platinum then ditch both and get the ED or ED Preferred.  

If you are unsure of weather or not you can get a revolver from amex, just call and app for the everyday, I started with the Green and got the Delta Gold revolver directly after.  I just got the ED card and its going to be able to replace the Delta with a $95af and the Green $95af.  I like having a charge card so I am going to upgrade the Green.  I think I can justify the added $355 in AF of the Plat card although amex is offering me the PRG for $0af the first year. 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:

what are the benefits of the revolver vs the charge card?

I do use the points (transfer to them to airlines which has been great), what other benefits would AMEX's other cards offer that the Green doesnt? 

You really just need to look at their other cards and see if they suit you.  It's a bit much to expect us to cover all the differences and benefits to you for all of their card offerings.   Take a look at their site and consider if the rewards earn rates on the various cards match up with your major spend.  There are other considerations as well but, again, it all depends on what's important to you -- not so much the differences among the various cards.  All that info is on the AmEx site.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.