Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice for triggering BT offers?

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Any advice for triggering BT offers?

I have several cards that people regularly receive targeted balance transfer offers on. Luckily I'm in a good place with 0% intro APR's, but it would be nice if I could spread the balances out across a couple more cards.

I'm sure the Discover BT offers will come along someday, after my intro APR expires. What I was wondering specifically was how to get a Capital One and BOA to play nicely. Currently both cards show BT offers at my regular purchase APR, Capital one with no BT fee (so generous when they're going to charge me 24% Smiley LOL)

i think I might have spooked BOA a bit back in January. My account wasn't showing any BT options, even at standard purchase APR. I called them up and asked where the BT  offers were. They gave me the 3rd degree, misinterpreted what I was asking, and questioned me as to why I wanted to balance transfer at my purchase APR. I had to explain that I simply wondered why the option wasn't available to me. The option appeared with the standard purchase APR a few days after that phone call, and hasn't changed since. 

So what kind of utilization and history helped you get a BT offer from BOA or Capital One?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Any advice for triggering BT offers?

For Capitol One, I only ever receive 0% offers when the card has been dormant with a $0 balance for 4-6 months. And I mean dormant... 0 usage, not even a $10 charge that's PIF before statement posts.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No clue as to how to get these. Constant offers on my BBR and DC. Do you have PF or Nvy?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to always have BT offers from BoA even on my CR which gets used weekly.

You may get some offers from Cap1 if you don't use the card for a few months.

Good luck!!
Message 4 of 5
iced
Valued Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

I have several cards that people regularly receive targeted balance transfer offers on. Luckily I'm in a good place with 0% intro APR's, but it would be nice if I could spread the balances out across a couple more cards.

I'm sure the Discover BT offers will come along someday, after my intro APR expires. What I was wondering specifically was how to get a Capital One and BOA to play nicely. Currently both cards show BT offers at my regular purchase APR, Capital one with no BT fee (so generous when they're going to charge me 24% Smiley LOL)

i think I might have spooked BOA a bit back in January. My account wasn't showing any BT options, even at standard purchase APR. I called them up and asked where the BT  offers were. They gave me the 3rd degree, misinterpreted what I was asking, and questioned me as to why I wanted to balance transfer at my purchase APR. I had to explain that I simply wondered why the option wasn't available to me. The option appeared with the standard purchase APR a few days after that phone call, and hasn't changed since. 

So what kind of utilization and history helped you get a BT offer from BOA or Capital One?

I have found that the best way to get a BT offer from a card is to not need a BT in the first place. Barclays in particular throws out BT offers every few months (usually 1% fee + 0% APR for 18 months) and Citi likes to randomly throw out similar offers.

They'll probably dry up once I actually call their bluff and take one.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.