cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any benefit to Delta AMEX if you have Platinum charge card?

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

Any benefit to Delta AMEX if you have Platinum charge card?

Is there any benefit to having the AMEX Delta card if you already have a Platinum card in terms of rewards?

For the first time this weekend I transfered points from my Corp Platinum card to Delta and the points transfer 1 for 1. So besides sign up bonus and being a revolver any other reason to get the Delta card?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Any benefit to Delta AMEX if you have Platinum charge card?

Which delta card are you referring to?

Each delta card has different perks and benefits. And yes there are definitely reasons to get the delta card even though you have the platinum. Just depends on what you need.

For example, the highest AF delta card will help you with MQMs, and the 2nd tier provides an anniversary companion ticket.

Just depends on what you need.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 17
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I have the Delta Gold and used to carry the Platinum (now a PRG). I used the Platinum to get in the Sky Club and get all my in flight stuff (drinks and food) free. The Delta Gold was handy for getting the baggage fees free, and priority boarding (behind first and business of course).
Message 3 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

Is there any benefit to having the AMEX Delta card if you already have a Platinum card in terms of rewards?

Probably.  The Platinum is generally a poor rewards card.  It's a good benefits card if the benefits suit you.

Message 4 of 17
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

Probably.  The Platinum is generally a poor rewards card.  It's a good benefits card if the benefits suit you.

Exactly; the rewards are not the draw for this card and with the latest round of benefits devaluation, the card really is a questionable choice at this point with the current annual fee.

Message 5 of 17
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I get 20,000 MQMs after I spend $50,000 on my Delta Platinum card, as well as a companion pass each year.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 17
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

For the first time this weekend I transfered points from my Corp Platinum card to Delta and the points transfer 1 for 1. So besides sign up bonus and being a revolver any other reason to get the Delta card?

...Makes your wallet prettier?Smiley Wink

I don't have the need for the AF on the charge, so I'm sticking with my Delta...and the AF is going up on that too....ugh.

Message 7 of 17
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@MrShush wrote:
I have the Delta Gold and used to carry the Platinum (now a PRG). I used the Platinum to get in the Sky Club and get all my in flight stuff (drinks and food) free. The Delta Gold was handy for getting the baggage fees free, and priority boarding (behind first and business of course).

+1. 

However, i think it would all depends on what you value more...the miles or the MR points.  Sure you can use the Plat for different lounge access beside Delta, earn MR points based on your spend and use the Delta Gold for baggage & priority boarding.  If you value more miles, then you can get the Delta Reserve w/ the same AF as the Plat Charge card, and you'll be raking up the MQM miles as well as the Delta Lounge access + Priority boarding + Annual Companion ticket. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 8 of 17
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Yes - two major reasons to have Delta co-branded plastic in your wallet. Both are important if you are seeking a Medallion level on Delta. Neither are important if you do not care about Medallion status. 

1. You can eliminate the MQD requirements by spending $25K on a Delta card. The process of doing this will earn you at least 25K miles if based on 1 mile per $1. 

2. You can earn MQM on the Platinum or Reserve Delta cards. MQM boosts happen at spend levels for each card. On the Platinum you receive 10K MQM after spending $25K on the card in a year. You will receive another 10K MQM after spending $50K on the card in one year. The Reserve is similar but increases the totals to 15K MQM at $30K and another 15K MQM at $60K. 

3. Free first checked bag for you and up to 9 others if they are companions. I believe this is for Gold, Platinum and Reserve. I never take advantage of this as for the past couple of years I have been flying in purchased business class seats and get up to 3 bags no charge. 

Message 9 of 17
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

Yes - two major reasons to have Delta co-branded plastic in your wallet. Both are important if you are seeking a Medallion level on Delta. Neither are important if you do not care about Medallion status. 

1. You can eliminate the MQD requirements by spending $25K on a Delta card. The process of doing this will earn you at least 25K miles if based on 1 mile per $1. 

2. You can earn MQM on the Platinum or Reserve Delta cards. MQM boosts happen at spend levels for each card. On the Platinum you receive 10K MQM after spending $25K on the card in a year. You will receive another 10K MQM after spending $50K on the card in one year. The Reserve is similar but increases the totals to 15K MQM at $30K and another 15K MQM at $60K. 

3. Free first checked bag for you and up to 9 others if they are companions. I believe this is for Gold, Platinum and Reserve. I never take advantage of this as for the past couple of years I have been flying in purchased business class seats and get up to 3 bags no charge. 

I think the OP is asking about the benefit of having the Delta card & the regular Platinum Charge card, not to be confused w/ the Delta Platinum. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.