cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any cards I should consider applying for before my loans hit?

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Any cards I should consider applying for before my loans hit?

Fidelity Amex sounds like an excellent suggestion for you. The Sallie Mae, while it's a good suggestion for most, is really a duplicate of a better card that you have. Yes, they may nerf the Forward for the grandfathered in, but they haven't yet so can't deal with the what ifs of the world. OP, if you felt like it might be something that would be good for you then go for it as it's a transunion like they said and you have zero. An alternate approach could be the Arrival + for the sign up bonus. Yes, it would only be redeemable for travel for the 2% but that's not a terrible, terrible thing.

What needs do you anticipate that you might need for yourself? If cash flow is a topic that is interesting to you then maybe try for the better balance rewards card. If you keep a balance on it each month (say even 1 dollar), you will get a $25 dollar bonus as a statement credit each quarter. (If you have a current BoA checking account you can get it deposited there each quarter and get a $30 dollar bonus for being a member.) It's certainly not bringing home the bacon so to speak, but you can go buy some bacon with it! lol Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 15
elegia
New Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:
Fidelity Amex sounds like an excellent suggestion for you. The Sallie Mae, while it's a good suggestion for most, is really a duplicate of a better card that you have. Yes, they may nerf the Forward for the grandfathered in, but they haven't yet so can't deal with the what ifs of the world. OP, if you felt like it might be something that would be good for you then go for it as it's a transunion like they said and you have zero. An alternate approach could be the Arrival + for the sign up bonus. Yes, it would only be redeemable for travel for the 2% but that's not a terrible, terrible thing.

What needs do you anticipate that you might need for yourself? If cash flow is a topic that is interesting to you then maybe try for the better balance rewards card. If you keep a balance on it each month (say even 1 dollar), you will get a $25 dollar bonus as a statement credit each quarter. (If you have a current BoA checking account you can get it deposited there each quarter and get a $30 dollar bonus for being a member.) It's certainly not bringing home the bacon so to speak, but you can go buy some bacon with it! lol Smiley Wink

I think I will look into Fidelity seriously. I'm still a bit hesitant about maintaining an account, though - what happens to my credit card account if and when I ever need to empty and/or close my Fidelity IRA/investment/etc. account? Obviously, I wouldn't plan on this happening any time soon at all, but I am nervous since it seems like a slightly bigger committment than most other cards.

Interesting, I keep getting those BoA Better Balance Rewards offers (I already have two BoA checking accounts) but have never given them a second look until now. I'm very responsible and diligent about my payments, so it seems like an easy $120/year with a simple Netflix+auto pay combo. After browsing reviews and opinions on this card, though, the general consensus seems to be that this is too good to last and that BoA might very well end up changing the terms and conditions? Hm.

Anyone know who they pull (both cards) and what kind of credit is generally needed for approval?

Message 12 of 15
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@elegia wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

I think I will look into Fidelity seriously. I'm still a bit hesitant about maintaining an account, though - what happens to my credit card account if and when I ever need to empty and/or close my Fidelity IRA/investment/etc. account? Obviously, I wouldn't plan on this happening any time soon at all, but I am nervous since it seems like a slightly bigger committment than most other cards.

Interesting, I keep getting those BoA Better Balance Rewards offers (I already have two BoA checking accounts) but have never given them a second look until now. I'm very responsible and diligent about my payments, so it seems like an easy $120/year with a simple Netflix+auto pay combo. After browsing reviews and opinions on this card, though, the general consensus seems to be that this is too good to last and that BoA might very well end up changing the terms and conditions? Hm.

Anyone know who they pull (both cards) and what kind of credit is generally needed for approval?

Absolutely nothing. I opened the cash management account with 0 and it still has 0 in it because I never opened the Fid Amex! lol Smiley Wink

Never heard a whisper of a change.. in fact I product changed my other BofA CC to the BBR -- so I have 2. Smiley Happy

BoA varies I think, I think they pulled EX and EQ for me but it might have just been EQ -- I'm not sure. I know they pull TU for CLI, though. Hopefully someone will be better able to speak on that front! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Message 13 of 15
elegia
New Contributor

I just checked my BoA credit card offers page and it says that I'm pre-qualified for the Better Balances card with 0% intro APR for the first 12 months and 13.99% APR afterwards. Is this the same as pre-approval or just an invitation to apply for these particular terms and rates?

Message 14 of 15
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@elegia wrote:

I just checked my BoA credit card offers page and it says that I'm pre-qualified for the Better Balances card with 0% intro APR for the first 12 months and 13.99% APR afterwards. Is this the same as pre-approval or just an invitation to apply for these particular terms and rates?

To me, I've had stronger approvals when I chose the pre-approval from BoA. With that said, there's never any one steadfast answer since your report/score changes in any given day/hour/minute. Smiley Happy You should be able to get it, for sure. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.