Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any downside with this?

tag
willwar14
Valued Contributor

Any downside with this?

I want to close my Kohls and Target card, I have absolutely no use for them, I was stupid and opened them when I was obsessed for applying for credit in the summer, would there be any downside to closing them?

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any downside with this?

It looks like your profile is pretty young so I don't think it will effect your AAoA...and the rest of your Util on other cards is much higher so I don't think it will effect your UTIL too much either. With Target, you get the same benefits with the debit card (5% off and free shipping) so if you close it just apply for their debit card linked to your bank account. You might see a little score dip but I don't think too much.

Message 2 of 14
Klesko
Regular Contributor

@willwar14 wrote:

I want to close my Kohls and Target card, I have absolutely no use for them, I was stupid and opened them when I was obsessed for applying for credit in the summer, would there be any downside to closing them?

If they are 0 AF there is no upside to closing them. I would suggest against it.

Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 3 of 14
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Is there an upside to closing them? If you won't use them, you can always use the sock drawer, at least until your profile matures a bit more.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 4 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

If you find no use in either, no downside.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@willwar14 wrote:

I feel you. Like you, I was a nub and didn't know anything about inquiries just this last spring. I have a useless J.Crew and Old Navy Store cards. Perhaps in two years I can convert the Old Navy to a VISA.

But so far I've done good to reverse my stupidity since 4/2015. I now have Capital One Quicksilver VISA and MasterCard, Barclay Rewards, American Express Blue Everyday Cash, Citi Double Cash Card, and Discover it. If it wasn't for the Chase 5 new accounts rule, I'd have a Chase Freedom now as well. That will be the final card I'll be targeting when they have a $200.00 sign up bonus.

Now to answer your question. I wouldn't close any accounts if they have no AF; the more accounts you have opened, the better it is for your score. Target and Kohls isn't useless as you might think it is. You can purchase something useful from them once every six months, perhaps a candy bar and a double A battery.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have no use for them, close them. It will not impact your AAoA, and it's less to manage or worry about.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

CAPTOOL wrote:

If you have no use for them, close them. It will not impact your AAoA, and it's less to manage or worry about.

+1

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send the batteries to my house, LOL... #JustSaying #SingleLife

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Klesko wrote:

@willwar14 wrote:

If they are 0 AF there is no upside to closing them. I would suggest against it.

If they aren't being used, they aren't being monitored for fraud.  You don't want an erroneous charge popping up that you won't see.  I would just close it.  With what little amounts on the CL, you won't take a major hit on Utilization, especially if that Macy's CL is right. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.