Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any drawbacks to EMV chips?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any drawbacks to EMV chips?

FWIW, I timed a swiped and a chip transaction at Walmart today and the chipped one was about twice as slow (~10 seconds compared to ~5-6). The chipped transaction also had an additional prompt (a "confirm amount" screen) that wasn't displayed when I swiped. I have yet to get contactless/Apple Pay/Google Wallet to work at a place with EMV turned on so I don't know how much better it'll be.

Message 81 of 83
nyancat
Established Contributor

5 seconds to get the benefit of a confirmation screen (which is a huge benefit)? Well worth it. Nothing like the slow transactions of old!
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 82 of 83
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shock wrote:

If it's chip and sig, it will be a pain to have to sign in the drive thru, electonic or not.

you can just draw a line and hit accept, and the transaction will still go through, let's face it, signatures on those machines look nothing like your actual signatures anyways.

What my signature looks like

What my singature looks like on credit card machines

HAHAHAHAHA....  Mine is funky on regular receipts too.  When cashiers look at it and pause; I just say, yes, I should have been a doctor, I know.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 83 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.