cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any educated guesses as to when AmEx rewards going back up to 3X?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Any educated guesses as to when AmEx rewards going back up to 3X?

For a while after I got my Gold card, AmEx was running 3X points for their shopping mall, then it dropped down to 2X.

I'm eyeing a MacBook, and for that kind of money, I'm getting it with the Gold for the extended warranty and for the points. I'd be awfully peevish if I got it with 2X, and the next day it went back up. Nothing like leaving 1500-2000 points on the table. Smiley Tongue

Do we have any semi-long-term members who have a feel for when the rewards go up and down? Presumably as we get closer to Christmas, I suppose, but how close?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any educated guesses as to when AmEx rewards going back up to 3X?

when you figure this out- let us know.

I am getting 2.5 until December.
I think they just make this stuff up as they go along.
Message 2 of 15
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I concur.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
when you figure this out- let us know.
I am getting 2.5 until December.

I'm still getting the higher rate myself on normal purchases, but I meant on their online shopping mall.

Are we talking about the same thing?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 15
athensguy
Valued Contributor

ShopDiscover is 5% back on Apple.com.
Message 5 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@athensguy wrote:
ShopDiscover is 5% back on Apple.com.

Smiley Surprised !

Confusinger and confusinger.
Message 6 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, I called AmEx (duh) and asked. The CSR said that these offers aren't tied to the calendar, but come from marketing and are random. I asked if they got triggered by high activity etc (in other words, as a reward), and he "couldn't say." (insert rimshot here)

So I'm not holding my breath on this one, and I'll just wait until the smoke starts pouring out of the Toshiba and check out my options then. One of which will NOT be the lovely Apple CC from Juniper/Barclays! Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 15
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Well, the whole line is supposed to be revamped soon anyway, so best to wait! The current line is getting a little old, so it should be a redesign instead of just a refresh.
Message 8 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@athensguy wrote:
Well, the whole line is supposed to be revamped soon anyway, so best to wait! The current line is getting a little old, so it should be a redesign instead of just a refresh.

Redesign with a re-price, I'll betcha. Smiley Wink

Good point, thanks. The laptop seems to be perking up. Maybe it's worried about competition.
Message 9 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Watch your membership reward points with Amex, every month they fudge mine, so I'm on them like white on rice. Many times they act stupid, when it was really intentional, but I have had Amex give me 1000's of I'm sorry points.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.