cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any experience apping and then immediately closing account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any experience apping and then immediately closing account?

@NRB525 wrote:

@ssondubs wrote:
I applied for a Cap One card and got a whopping $300 limit. Wasn't too happy, it didn't compare to my other CC limits lol. I closed the card before it was even mailed out ( and I still got it). It still reported as closed by consumer and it indeed hurt my AAoA. I should've just SD'd if I only I knew.

well, the AAoA is affected by the fact that you apped for it, right? not the disappointing CL. Regardless if you liked the CL, or kept it open the effect on AAoA should have been exactly the same, once you decided to app.

Apping has nothing to do with AAoA. Neither does being approved for a tradeline necessarily. I have two hidden tradelines that I took hard pulls for and took score hits but suffered no effect to AAoA. I could apply for 5 cards in the next 30 minutes and be declined for all five and all that would happen is I'd take score hits for five HP's. Even if I was approved for one of them my AAoA wouldn't change until that card reported. New accounts REPORTING to the CRA's affects AAoA. Closing them doesn't change that, you have to have them removed. I think the poster you quoted was just saying that he thought he could just close the account before the card came and not have any negative effects to his profile and it didn't work. Just like the OP is hoping to try.

to the OP, this board is full of threads and posts of people not getting limits or terms they wanted and closing cards and be left with a closed account on their report. If it were as easy to just write a letter and mail a card back or not activate a card I'm sure you'd hear about it all the time.

Message 21 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@ssondubs wrote:
I applied for a Cap One card and got a whopping $300 limit. Wasn't too happy, it didn't compare to my other CC limits lol. I closed the card before it was even mailed out ( and I still got it). It still reported as closed by consumer and it indeed hurt my AAoA. I should've just SD'd if I only I knew.

well, the AAoA is affected by the fact that you apped for it, right? not the disappointing CL. Regardless if you liked the CL, or kept it open the effect on AAoA should have been exactly the same, once you decided to app.

Apping has nothing to do with AAoA. Neither does being approved for a tradeline necessarily. I have two hidden tradelines that I took hard pulls for and took score hits but suffered no effect to AAoA. I could apply for 5 cards in the next 30 minutes and be declined for all five and all that would happen is I'd take score hits for five HP's. Even if I was approved for one of them my AAoA wouldn't change until that card reported. New accounts REPORTING to the CRA's affects AAoA. Closing them doesn't change that, you have to have them removed. I think the poster you quoted was just saying that he thought he could just close the account before the card came and not have any negative effects to his profile and it didn't work. Just like the OP is hoping to try.

to the OP, this board is full of threads and posts of people not getting limits or terms they wanted and closing cards and be left with a closed account on their report. If it were as easy to just write a letter and mail a card back or not activate a card I'm sure you'd hear about it all the time.

Sorry, I should have highlighted the incorrect statement I was commenting on earlier. My point/clarification is, once one decides to app for a card, if that card is opened, AAoA is affected. AAoA is "hurt". The act of SD a card is, well, doing nothing. It's just open and not used, doesn't change any AAoA calculations once it is issued, except that it begins to age along with everything else.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 28
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

It looks like if there is a way it would be in cancelling the application.  I won't get into how or if it's possible.  Of course anything is possible but knowing how to is the key.

Btw, I seldom subscribe to the theory of if there were a way someone would have already thought of it  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 23 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

It looks like if there is a way it would be in cancelling the application.  I won't get into how or if it's possible.  Of course anything is possible but knowing how to is the key.

Btw, I seldom subscribe to the theory of if there were a way someone would have already thought of it  

It also depends on how much effort one is willing to put into the calls to the bank and multiple explanations to CSR who are trained to get cards out the door as efficiently  as possible,to explain why one wants to cancel the application.

If that's what floats someones boat, they can have it.

But then the real question comes up: What is the expected outcome/benefit from all this effort?

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 24 of 28
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

It also depends on how much effort one is willing to put into the calls to the bank and multiple explanations to CSR who are trained to get cards out the door as efficiently  as possible,to explain why one wants to cancel the application.

But then the real question comes up: What is the expected outcome/benefit from all this effort?

I think the key would be in figure out a system of doing things that wouldn't require too much effort.  Wouldn't you agree? 

Speaking of which I'm of the school that earning less than 5% cashback rewards is too little.  So Apping for anything less than 5% is just like apping for 0% cashback. 

Again I'm trying to find out any tips that can be shared.   I'm sure many on here were happy to learn the "secrets" to getting 3X CLI with AMEX.  Others were happy to learn how to backdate their cards.  Some are happy to have learned how to PC products without a HP.   Some discover card users are happy to get CLI via automated phone requests.   GE/Synchrony cardholders love the secret that CLIs are possible with just a SP. 

Again, I'm interested in hearing about possibilities, not so much if something doesn't make sense or if most don't know yet. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 25 of 28
dursty87
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@ssondubs wrote:

Sorry, I should have highlighted the incorrect statement I was commenting on earlier. My point/clarification is, once one decides to app for a card, if that card is opened, AAoA is affected. AAoA is "hurt". The act of SD a card is, well, doing nothing. It's just open and not used, doesn't change any AAoA calculations once it is issued, except that it begins to age along with everything else.

First, I was simply sharing my experience with the OP as to help answer his question. I'm well aware of the fact that I would have taken the AAoA hit regardless once the TL reported. As far as my last sentence, I was once again simply stating that I shouldn't have closed the card since it didn't have an AF. That is something I learned after I closed the account. Don't know how that is incorrect as that is my opinion as to what I should have done differently.  Sorry for not clarifying. 

Message 26 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

I think the key would be in figure out a system of doing things that wouldn't require too much effort.  Wouldn't you agree? 

Speaking of which I'm of the school that earning less than 5% cashback rewards is too little.  So Apping for anything less than 5% is just like apping for 0% cashback. 

Again I'm trying to find out any tips that can be shared.   I'm sure many on here were happy to learn the "secrets" to getting 3X CLI with AMEX.  Others were happy to learn how to backdate their cards.  Some are happy to have learned how to PC products without a HP.   Some discover card users are happy to get CLI via automated phone requests.   GE/Synchrony cardholders love the secret that CLIs are possible with just a SP. 

Again, I'm interested in hearing about possibilities, not so much if something doesn't make sense or if most don't know yet. 

Fair enough. All the examples you cited are existing processes buried within the CCC, in other words, they are available to utilize, and users can trigger them by doing certain actions.

The idea of killing a CC because you don't want it to report is going against the process of gathering CR information, where the basic operating function is to show: Did something happen in the past? If yes, report it. If it is really an error, extra effort is necessary to document that it was indeed an error and remove the error.

Apping and not liking the CL that results, doesn't really count as an error.

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

Fair enough. All the examples you cited are existing processes buried within the CCC, in other words, they are available to utilize, and users can trigger them by doing certain actions.

The idea of killing a CC because you don't want it to report is going against the process of gathering CR information, where the basic operating function is to show: Did something happen in the past? If yes, report it. If it is really an error, extra effort is necessary to document that it was indeed an error and remove the error.

Apping and not liking the CL that results, doesn't really count as an error.

+1  I agree NRB525.  Apples and Oranges OP  Besides even if there is a "secret way to keep a card from reporting because you're not happy with the terms or cl you got after you hit submit then we probably wouldn't be able to discuss it here anyway. 

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.