cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any experience when a cc co. asks for a copy of your ssn card with a pending application?

tag
12njoy
Super Contributor

Any experience when a cc co. asks for a copy of your ssn card with a pending application?

Applied for a Wells Fargo credit card which immediately went into a pending status.  Called to check status and was told that they needed a copy of my social security card.  CSR said that my application was reviewed by underwriting and they noted on application that a social security card was needed to verify SSN.  What are your thoughts on this process?

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
12njoy
Super Contributor

Re: Any experience when a cc co. asks for a copy of your ssn card with a pending application?

Help

___________ 12Njoy
Message 2 of 5
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Re: Any experience when a cc co. asks for a copy of your ssn card with a pending application?

@12njoy wrote:

Applied for a Wells Fargo credit card which immediately went into a pending status.  Called to check status and was told that they needed a copy of my social security card.  CSR said that my application was reviewed by underwriting and they noted on application that a social security card was needed to verify SSN.  What are your thoughts on this process?

I could imagine this being needed if there's a spelling mismatch on the name, or if there's another name/record showing up for that SSN that doesn't seem to match, although I would think this would be an infrequent occurrence. Maybe a really short or non-existent credit history? 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 3 of 5
12njoy
Super Contributor

Thanks.  I have a short history on EQ (all 3 really) of 1.9 years.  Would you think this likely is an approval pending verification of SSN?

___________ 12Njoy
Message 4 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

Yes sometimes banks will want a copy of your SSN card to verify ID. This is perfectly normal. Just make sure you are mailing / faxing to the correct place.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.