cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any good techniques for app 'spree' to get as much credit as possible?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any good techniques for app 'spree' to get as much credit as possible?

Assuming I get the last baddie off of each CRA, and I'm in the 720s all around, any ideas on the best series of steps to take to get approved for as much credit as possible with as few apps and/or inquiries on one CRA?

Are there better cards (higher CLs) to apply for and or an order to do this in, e.g. apply for all at once online or wait and spread out?

Finally, has anyone done Bank Overdraft Apping, if so what kinds of lines can you get?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Michael
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Any good techniques for app 'spree' to get as much credit as possible?

You might be about a year too late but if you insist on doing this make sure you apply to inquiry sensitive cards first.
IF you are eligible for Navy Federal go for that after Penfed. The rest of the primes like BofA Citi and Chase are a crap shoot but BofA extends a lot of credit in a short period of time. I might avoid Amex unless you just want to stop there.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:
You might be about a year too late but if you insist on doing this make sure you apply to inquiry sensitive cards first.
IF you are eligible for Navy Federal go for that after Penfed. The rest of the primes like BofA Citi and Chase are a crap shoot but BofA extends a lot of credit in a short period of time. I might avoid Amex unless you just want to stop there.

I don't think I am eligible for NavFed.

Why do you say avoid Amex unless you want to stop there?

So far I just did Amazon Chase and got a '30 Days', plan to call them in 2 days.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

call chase now, I did was instantly approved for 2K (originally denied with the 30 day message DUE TO too many inquiries)

There's really no way to do it- inquiries go on your report immediately. Like the person above me said, app for the inquiry sensitive cards first.
Message 4 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

If rewards are not top of your list you might want to try the BofA Visa Platinum Plus. Low rate like 8 and change no annual fee. I am not 100% sure they bump this card up hard but BofA gives luv early and often. Amex is just weird. I would avoid. You have nice scores try for the BofA.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:
If rewards are not top of your list you might want to try the BofA Visa Platinum Plus. Low rate like 8 and change no annual fee. I am not 100% sure they bump this card up hard but BofA gives luv early and often. Amex is just weird. I would avoid. You have nice scores try for the BofA.

I think BOFA declined me a couple of months back. Of course I got rid of some baddies since then (paid collection, unpaid collection).

Who do they pull?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

I think BOFA declined me a couple of months back. Of course I got rid of some baddies since then (paid collection, unpaid collection).

Who do they pull?

Most of the time they pull EX, but they may follow up on TU if they consider your EX to be borderline.

Message 7 of 9
jaybird201
Established Contributor

If you're planning on going on an application "spree", you should look at which cards require certain levels of credit. The fact that you got a "30-days" from Chase probably suggests that either your credit score is too low or there is something on your report that has prompted further investigation.

Try a website like www.creditcards.com. It will tell you, approximately, what kind of credit you should have before applying for a card. You can actually also browse what kind of cards are available for your credit quality.

For a spree, I'd stick to applying for cards well within your range and with no APRs.

If you're looking to pay your debt off within the next year, I'd say go ahead and just find a card with a low APR. Otherwise, try Navy or Pentagon if possible. Pentagon has extended their membership to military-affiliated organizations. For a $20 fee you can join the National Military Family Association and therefore be eligible for membership at Pentagon. They usually have great rates.

Good luck! It's good you're paying this down!
Message 8 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I got an overdraft LOC from NFCU for $10,000, which is the amount I asked for.

I think you should follow the HTSU tactic. Certain lenders hate multiple inquiries, so you should apply to those lenders first. I am going to go ahead and recommend PenFed for you since you aren't NFCU eligible and want a good LOC. They will also use the same inquiry for all applications in 60 days, which is a bonus.

If you end up going the PenFed route, make sure to apply with them first. PenFed HATES too many inquiries and new accounts also, so you want to ensure you app there first so they don't deny you for the other accounts you will accumulate in your spree.

Lots of members love PenFed. I'm sure some of them can chime in with their PenFed stories to help elaborate.
Here we go again...
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.