cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas?

tag
highondebt

Any ideas?

Worked hard on getting a lot of high limit credit cards. Well I ended up spending about 80% of the available balances and here I sit with almost 50k in debt. My current income is 55k a year.  Have a mortgage of 1400 a month. As you can gather making all these payments is becoming difficult.  Im not looking to file or anything but do need to find some help. Thoughts...advise and calling me a dumb#$@ is welcome.

USAA Amex

USAA Master

NFCU LoC

NFCU Visa

Chase

Discover

Best Buy

Walmart

Lowes

PSECU

American Exp

Total

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Any ideas?

@highondebt wrote:

Worked hard on getting a lot of high limit credit cards. Well I ended up spending about 80% of the available balances and here I sit with almost 50k in debt. My current income is 55k a year.  Have a mortgage of 1400 a month. As you can gather making all these payments is becoming difficult.  Im not looking to file or anything but do need to find some help. Thoughts...advise and calling me a dumb#$@ is welcome.

USAA Amex

USAA Master

NFCU LoC

NFCU Visa

Chase

Discover

Best Buy

Walmart

Lowes

PSECU

American Exp

Total

Limits and APRs will be helpful for all that may offer advice. 

Message 2 of 27
Stralem
Established Contributor

Wow.

Paying that off with a $55K income isn't going to be easy, if even possible.

Filing BK may be your only option.

But... more info, please. What are the limits on those cards? Are you married? Does your spouse or partner have income?

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 3 of 27
highondebt

Usaa...navy and psecu are all under 10% apr.  Lowes and bb are 0% for a few months. Chase..walmart 24%. Discover 15% not sure on amex

Message 4 of 27
highondebt

Nfcu, usaa, psecu are just about maxed all other cards are very low limit.  Really no chance on moving any balances around

Message 5 of 27
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@highondebt wrote:

USAA Amex

USAA Master

NFCU LoC

NFCU Visa

Chase

Discover

Best Buy

Walmart

Lowes

PSECU

American Exp

Total

In stead of a going Bankrupt:

Try paying them off. Find a second Job, lower and modify your spending habits...

You can do it.

I wish you the best.

Message 6 of 27
highondebt

As I said im not looking to file bk.  These are my debts and I know its my responsibility to pay them back. I have already put a budget together to change my spending a few months back. Even paying the minimum is really starting to take its toll on me. 

Message 7 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

since you have access to some of the best credit unions I would reach out to Navy and USAA and see about a personal loan perhaps... I have heard Navy will sometimes do that and close out the credit cards (unless they have the recent 2.9% BT on them and such.

If those are just such great rates and under 9% they might be to good to consolidate into a personal loan, lets focus on the small ones first but if you really cut out spending and make all your payments, what are you really left with each month to tackle this debt? and do you have this left because you still fall onto a credit card or two?

Message 8 of 27
Chris679
Established Contributor

Message 9 of 27
Chris679
Established Contributor

Keep making the minimum payment on all accounts and apply every penny left over to the highest interest rates. Start slashing your spending, no eating out, no toys, get a second job and sell off anything that you don't need if you can get decent value for it.
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.