cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any luck switching to better version of HSBC Best Buy MC?

tag
killnfool
Valued Member

Any luck switching to better version of HSBC Best Buy MC?

2 years ago I got a pre-approval offer for a Best Buy Mastercard in the mail. I still had a bunch of stuff on my credit reports so I bit and applied. Got approved for a BB Gold mastercard, with a $79 AF and a $300 initial CL. That was fine since I had no other current good credit and needed to start over somewhere. A year later when my AF was charged again, I called up to try and get it waived or switched to a better card since I didn't really care about the rewards program. Never late, always PIF and even then only had a small amount from a tank of gas or something just to keep the card active. The guy was in India and I'm honestly not sure either side understood the other, but best I could make out, he refused to waive the fee, give a CLI, or switch to a dif HSBC card. Most of my bad TL's had fallen off of my reports but a few still had a few months to go, so I let it drop and kept the card. After all, they had given me a $20 CLI over that year lol! A few months later, I notice online that they increased my CL to $450. I called grandma and told her I finally had the money to save the family farm! So skip to this month and the AF shows up again. My credit report is now flawless, FICO's in the high 700's, a few newer CC's with limits of $6500+, and only one hard pull within a year from about 6 months ago.

So, knowing that there are at least dif versions of the Best Buy Mastercard (gold vs platinum, Plan A vs Plan B, etc.) , some without AF's, what are the odds of me calling them up and getting a better version? I don't feel good about the odds from my last call in. Has anybody done this? Does HSBC even consider this? I kind of want to keep the card because it's age helps my scores now, but the $79 AF and low CL are horrible. I might even use the damn card more at Best Buy if the usage % didn't look so high because of the small CL even when I PIF each month. Any advice?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Woolfman
Established Contributor

Re: Any luck switching to better version of HSBC Best Buy MC?

In my exp they do not do changes but will tell you to try applying again .

Message 2 of 4
killnfool
Valued Member

HSBC tells you to apply for one of the other cards you mean? Yeah that wouldn't work to get another one since I can find much better cards out there. I just mainly want to upgrade the card to keep it for it's longer history on my reports.

Message 3 of 4
Woolfman
Established Contributor

yes sorry for the confusing response.. They will tell you to apply again for the card to see if you can get the better card. (atleast what they have told me )

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.