cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any reason NOT to close my Amex Delta Gold?

tag
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Any reason NOT to close my Amex Delta Gold?

I got this card in Mar of last year as my first revolver from Amex, they gave me a starting limit of $1000 which I was ok with as I had been denied for the card about a month before.  I got the $0af and 30,000mi sign up offer and have taken advantage of the free checked bag 4-5 times since getting the card. 

I'm thinking of closing the card for a few different reasons.  First the change to Delta's milage program isn't good for me at all.  Secondly, I found myseslf using my charge card more because I don't fly Delta exclusively and the MR points are much more flexible.  I now have the ED card to take the bulk of my spending and the platinum card for travel benefits. With a limit of $1k it's not going to impact my available credit enough to worry about and the $95/yr AF can go to the $450/yr monster on the platinum. 

Can anyone think of any reasons to keep the Delta Gold card I may be overlooking? 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Any reason NOT to close my Amex Delta Gold?

You could product change the card if you wanted? The Amex chat would give you all of the available options for you. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 10
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@Kenny wrote:
You could product change the card if you wanted? TheAmex chat would give you all of the available options for you. Smiley Happy

Initially that is what I wanted to do, PC the delta cart to the ED or EDP.  According to the rep I spoke to, it was a no go due to being in different "families".  I wanted the ED card so I just went ahead and applied for it. 

Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14

Message 3 of 10
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

Wait, you can't PC the gold delta to the EDP? Omg what am I gonna do with my life... lol
If I were you I would pc to another product! I would t close my acc Smiley Happy
PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 4 of 10
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

I do agree with you though, Deltas program went to sh*t. Like I legit feel like I am a regular coach flyer these days. After this year I am PCing my gold delta to something and probs going with the Amex platinum because the centurian lounges doe
PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 5 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I'm late to the party, but yeah no reason to keep a Skypesos card and PC'ing to another card you lose out on signup bonus.  Did you get approved for ED?

Message 6 of 10
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@B335is wrote:

I'm late to the party, but yeah no reason to keep a Skypesos card and PC'ing to another card you lose out on signup bonus.  Did you get approved for ED?

LOL didn't think of losing out on a sign up bonus!

Message 7 of 10
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

One good thing about the card is that you can "pay with points" on the Delta site. So, let's say you have 30k Skymiles points and you want to fly economy from JFK to Puerto Rico and the flight cost $165. Assuming that flight is available for "pay with points", you can use 10,650 skymiles to cover the flight to Puerto Rico. That's enough for me to keep the card. 

Here's my thinking. They "pay with points" feature only works when you have the card. So for example, if you have another card like the ED, EDP or PRG where it's easy to hit 20K MR points in 2 months or so, you can transfer the MR points to Delta and then use the 'Pay with Points" feature to pay for your ticket. as long as you have a Delta card. Hell, you'll never have to pay for domestic flights again..

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 8 of 10
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@B335is wrote:

There wasn't an option to PC to the ED card otherwise I would have.  I'm not sure what cards are in the same "family" as the delta gold (i assume the other delta co-branded cards, past that no clue) but I waned the ED card specifically, so I didn't really matter.  I guess if I have the option to PC to something without an AF it may be worth hanging onto.  Maybe I'll call and ask if the blue cash is in the same "family".

@Membersince2013 wrote:

One good thing about the card is that you can "pay with points" on the Delta site. So, let's say you have 30k Skymiles points and you want to fly economy from JFK to Puerto Rico and the flight cost $165. Assuming that flight is available for "pay with points", you can use 10,650 skymiles to cover the flight to Puerto Rico. That's enough for me to keep the card. 

Here's my thinking. They "pay with points" feature only works when you have the card. So for example, if you have another card like the ED, EDP or PRG where it's easy to hit 20K MR points in 2 months or so, you can transfer the MR points to Delta and then use the 'Pay with Points" feature to pay for your ticket. as long as you have a Delta card. Hell, you'll never have to pay for domestic flights again..

I've used the pay with points option before,  It only allows you to redeem points in blocks of 10k for $100.  It's a nice feature but I don't think it is worth spending $95 a year to have.  I'm more likely to transfer the MR points to an airline that is offering a bonus, from a cursory search on flyertalk it looks like delta rarely if ever offers anything but a 1 to 1 point transfer. 

Message 9 of 10
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Think I found a reason to keep the Delta card for another month and a half atleast. 

AMEX small business saturday.  It looks like you can get 3 $10 statements per card.  I thought it was just $10 but looking at a thread from last year its 3 per card.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.