Frequent Contributor
writemikep

Any reason to keep my Exxon gas card???

[ Edited ]

Today I bought my TU and EQ FICO scores.  I was looking over the reports, and I see that both are reporting my Exxon/Mobil gas card (which has no VC/MC/AMEX affiliation, but issued thru Citi) as a 'credit card', and not as a 'charge account' (like my Macy's store card).

I currently have 8 credit accounts:  one revolving charge (my Macy's), one open credit (AMEX), and six revolving credit cards (including, it appears, my Exxon/Mobil gas card).  So my credit mix is fine.

I don't think I need this gas card, because the Exxon stations near me have just switched over to '76' stations, I can use a regular credit card for gas, and I'm getting no reward for using the gas card.

Also, this gas card is only two years old.  My AAoA is over 8 yrs for both TU and EQ (and EX), so if it stays on my report as a closed account for the next ten years, it won't affect that.  It only has a $2000 credit limit, which won't affect my UTIL at all if I close it.

Any reason not to close it?

Established Contributor
Ulan

Re: Any reason to keep my Exxon gas card???

In that case, if it doesn't have any fee attached, I would just leave it in the drawer and let the bank close it when they want. That way, the card might stay a bit longer on your reports.

Frequent Contributor
writemikep

There's no AF, but I kinda hate leaving credit 'laying around' that doesn't seem to be useful.

Established Member
Xercien

It being open helps your AAoA

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TU - 663 Fico (04/03/11)
EQ - 654 Fico (04/03/11)
Established Contributor
Ulan

Well, after everything you said, it seems not to be a big deal one way or the other. Just do what you want, there's no real "wrong" involved here.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+