cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recent apps for the AmEx Costco True Earnings without already belonging to Costco?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Any recent apps for the AmEx Costco True Earnings without already belonging to Costco?

@Red1Blue wrote:

You might want to call them and see if they would do the product change since you are planning on closing the blue. Worth asking instead of apping for a new card.

Good point, although I thought I'd read that they don't PC to this card, since it's a joint deal with Costco.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any recent apps for the AmEx Costco True Earnings without already belonging to Costco?

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Wow, you must do some serious shopping there!  Smiley Surprised

You do not know the half of it... Smiley Indifferent

My little boy can out eat any three grown men and their two horses, LOL!!! Where he puts it all, I don't know. But, there are three sure-fired guarantees in this life; 1) you're gonna die eventually, 2) you'll have to pay taxes, and 3) DS is hungry... again. Then, there's his propensity to go through a whole triple-ply roll of toilet paper in one...err... sitting. I've got two babies in diapers. I tried to be earth friendly for awhile, and use disposable (I loved the hemp all-in-ones), but I'm just gonna put it out there... who the heck is supposed to wash those things? Not ME! Smiley Surprised Apparently, it wasn't DH either, so back to disposables. I've got four little ones in total, two school-aged, and two babies. That's a whole heck of a lot of laundry detergent-- ummm... especially after DS has eaten... again.

But, fortunately, most of the bill isn't mine. I do the shopping for a couple of big charitable events each year. Thankfully for which I'm *reimbursed*, LOL! 

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know if this info will help, but I app'd for the Costco True Earnings card in the store, last Septemberish, and got a 4k credit line. The guy at the membership desk input the application himself (I only signed the agreement). I don't know (didn't think to ask) if he asked for/recommended a limit or if it was automatic. I was already a long-time Costco member (the Executive membership ($100) vs. the regular membership ($50). <-- I wonder if that had something to do with it? I was also in the process of making a purchase-- can't recall how much now, but I think maybe $400-$500. I got an instant decision with a credit line of $4k. I recall when I posted about getting the card, there were a rash of people who had recently applied, and there were at least 2 to 3 others who got $4k, and I don't think we ever did figure out what the trigger was.

I suspect (could be wrong) that either geography, or membership level might have something to do with it. [edited to clarify] Areas that have a higher cost of living may be adjusted for the higher credit line upon qualification.

Here's the most ironic part-- I only signed-up for the exec level membership one year, because they were running some special that made it cheaper than the regular membership at renewal time. I had fully planned to go back to the regular membership the next year, but every year I end up getting a 'rewards' check in the mail (not the cashback from my Costco true earnings... that comes in February) that exceeds the $100 cost of renewal. I never got a check when I had the regular membership, so I stick with the exec membership.

Never thought about geography playing a part init, but it could be. After all, I do live in Orange County, California and it sounds like I've had the best luck so far!   I have had an executive membership for years as an addition to my mom's acct. I had applied over the phone, but the process was taking forever so the CSR suggested that I walk in and apply.  I did and to my surprise, I was approved for $10k!!! Smiley Surprised   The craziest part is my highest CL was Care for $3,700 and $2k with Merrick (rebuilder).   I hadn't really done much but garden and apply for 1 card in the past year.  I never considered myself as having good credit since I had just improved it in the past year or two. 

Message 13 of 22
joestay
Frequent Contributor

No, I'm in Orange County too and started with a $2k limit.

Message 14 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'm beginning to think that executive membership is the magic deal for high CL's.

The executive membership at $100/ year gets you 2% cash back, but that means spending $5,000 a year at Costco to break even. Smiley Surprised Since the basic membership is $50/ year with no rewards, I guess that means that spending $2,500/ year would make it pay for the basic membership, but I still don't see myself getting through $200/ month's worth of chicken breasts. Smiley Tongue

At least if you get the card, you're getting 1% back for the $50 fee, so that's a better deal than the membership without the card... So I guess if you combined the executive 2% back at Costco with the card's 1%...

Sorry everyone, I'm thinking out loud here!

Good thing I don't plan to do anything until January. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any recent APS for the Ames Cost True Earnings without already belonging to Cost?

@Hallucinogen's wrote:

I'm beginning to think that executive membership is the magic deal for high Sol's.

The executive membership at $100/ year gets you 2% cash back, but that means spending $5,000 a year at Cost to break even. Smiley Surprised Since the basic membership is $50/ year with no rewards, I guess that means that spending $2,500/ year would make it pay for the basic membership, but I still don't see myself getting through $200/ month's worth of chicken breasts. Smiley Tongue

At least if you get the card, you're getting 1% back for the $50 fee, so that's a better deal than the membership without the card... So I guess if you combined the executive 2% back at Cost with the card's 1%...

Sorry everyone, I'm thinking out loud here!

Good thing I don't plan to do anything until January. Smiley Tongue

You're cracking me up Hauling....  Smiley Very Happy  I can't eat the much chicken either, but it's not just bulk food.  You can buy computers, cameras, TV's, socks, towels, toilet paper, bottled water, cell phones, paper, and don't forget gift baskets and gift cards during the holidays.   And they have an excellent return policy so if you buy something, get it home and don't like it, it's no hassle.  And usually, their electronics are really good prices.  So with that in mind, you might actually benefit from the Executive membership and if you decide later that it isn't worth it, you can always downgrade, but at least it might help you out with the higher limit.   Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Any recent APS for the Ames Cost True Earnings without already belonging to Cost?

lol, the Lithium spellcheck got my name!  Smiley Very Happy

Now that my kids are up and grown and gone, I pretty much have everything I need. But I could see using this for something like a one-time purchase of a big item like furniture.

Or casketsSmiley Happy

Message 17 of 22
Ron1
Super Contributor

I don't think they give higher CL for executive members.  I have Executive Membership and I bought a lot from Costco. They only approved for $2K. 

Ron.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hauling, I have a feeling with your scores, you will get a pretty good credit limit!!  Smiley Indifferent   Be sure to keep us updated on this. 

Message 19 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Ron1 wrote:

I don't think they give higher CL for executive members.  I have Executive Membership and I bought a lot from Costco. They only approved for $2K. 

Ron.

Wow, go figure. Smiley Tongue

I'll see what happens come January, I guess. Thanks, everyone! (And thanks, Qtip.)

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.