cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recommendations for San Antonio-area credit unions?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any recommendations for San Antonio-area credit unions?

I was advised to get a credit card with local credit union. My question is which one should I open an account with. The choices that are available to me are Firstmark Credit Union, Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union, San Antiono Credit Union, and Securty Service Federal Credit Union. Any reviews and opions on credit cards with these companies would be greatly appreciated.
Message Edited by jav32204 on 02-02-2010 04:45 AM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Any recommendations for San Antonio-area credit unions?

Looks like this post is about to slip off the first page of the CC board.

You might want to change your thread title a bit to catch more attention, since you have a specialized question. If so, go back to the original post (not this one), click Options, choose edit, put your cursor over the subject line, and expand it a bit.

One suggestion would be something like: Any recommendations for San Antonio-area credit unions? We have a good number of members from Texas, and I think several from that area.

Are you eligible at all for USAA? I was thinking that they have a membership category for people who simply live in the area, but I could well be wrong.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-02-2010 04:52 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. I am eligible for USAA, and considering them also.
Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Whoosh, that was fast! Smiley Very Happy

I don't know what your current situation is in terms of length of history and so forth. USAA is very conservative in lending standards, but they definitely reward length of membership. Even if you aren't eligible for a card now, IMO it would be worth joining, just to get a relationship started. Open a Roth IRA or something.

My son has been a member for 4-5 years, but unlike his sisters, he never opened an account with them. Last month he got an auto loan, and a week later, he had a pre-approval for a credit card.

They work very differently from most lenders, that's for sure.

Anyway, hope you get more replies from those in your area. I think marty56 lives somewhere around there.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL, Well I'm looking to buy a house in the next 12-18 mnths and was advised since I have no open credit cards and was told for optimum fico I need to open 2 credit cards and pay them in full every month.
Message 5 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

USAA
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've lived in San Antonio most of my life and if you can get into either USAA or RBFCU then consider yourself fortunate and end your search there. Both are top notch.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 9
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I live in the Hill Country and have noticed RBFCU branches popping up all over the place in the general area.  They must be in an expansion mode.  I have no experience with them but the new branches look nice (whatever that is worth).  Check them out and see how they stack up.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

GENERATIONS FEDERAL CREDIT UNION EITHER DOWNTOWN BRANCH OR The one behind the Bank of America Tower! They are exellent, gave my cousin with a 668 on EQ a 18,000 CC Platinum I have switched my primary account with them I LOVE THEM SAID BYE BYE TO the big banks no fees anymore!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.