cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recommendations for a low-interest credit card (no rewards)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any recommendations for a low-interest credit card (no rewards)?

Awhile ago I asked on here for a recommendation for a credit card with good rewards - I got a Chase Freedom Card - and I really love it. I use that card only for purchases that I will pay in full at the month, so I just get the rewards - it's awesome free money!

Anyway, now I want another card - with the purpose of being used only if I must make a purchase that I am not sure that I can pay-in-full. So what I want is a low rate, both introductory and beyond. What can somebody recommend (for someone with a fico just below 650)?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Any recommendations for a low-interest credit card (no rewards)?

Since you already have a Chase card why not go for their Platinum Visa? I got one last year one year introductory 0% then up to 18%. Ouch. Citi has a couple intro no interest cards as well. Diamond Preferred and Platinum. Check their website.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you all feel about having two cards from the same bank? (chase)

Before the last post (thank you!) I had not considered this. I think a drawback would be that they would not allow BTs with improved rates between the two. Other than that, what do you think?

Is there an actual advantage to having 2 cards from the same place? More likely to get approved?

Thanks
Message 3 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

ace9848 wrote:

Anyway, now I want another card - with the purpose of being used only if I must make a purchase that I am not sure that I can pay-in-full. So what I want is a low rate, both introductory and beyond. What can somebody recommend (for someone with a fico just below 650)?

I use a CU card for that
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I have to get a CU checking account or savings account in order to get a CU card?
Message 5 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

My local CU requires a savings account only, but I now have savings, checking, HELOC and CC because their rates are good
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 8
Regular Contributor

I got a card just for this reason.  I received a pre-approval from Juniper for a rate of 7.99% fixed.  I jumped at it!

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: 7/8/10: TU - 738 EQ - 750
Previous Score: 1/22/10: TU - 703 EQ - 714
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

A lot of people here recommend PenFed, JFCU, and NFCU as excellent credit unions if you wish to look into them a bit.

I have the non-rewards MasterCard from NFCU and it is at 11.9APR. CL is 15k.
Here we go again...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.