Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any store cards that DON'T hard inq?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any store cards that DON'T hard inq?

I'm looking at getting a tablet for going back to school in August, as I'll be living off campus, and it would be easier to haul back and forth than a laptop.  I'd like to be able to buy one, and pay it off over time, not that I necessarily need to, I'd just prefer that as opposed to dumping all the money into it at once.  So my question is, are there any electronics store cards that don't hard inq?  For example, Walmart, BBY, etc?  I'm not looking for a store CREDIT card, just a store card that I can get like 0% for 6 months.

Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any store cards that DON'T hard inq?

What's the difference between a store card and a store credit card? They're both the same thing. Do you mean a store card and a general purpose bank card? i.e. Walmart vs. Walmart Discover
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm talking Walmart vs Walmart Discover.  Was thinking maybe just the generic walmart wouldn't need a hard inq, since it's not a general purpose CC.

Message 3 of 20
marty56
Super Contributor

Bill Me Later will do a HP but no account will show up on your CR so it is FICO score friendly and very usable for online purchases.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 20
namvet
Established Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

Bill Me Later will do a HP but no account will show up on your CR so it is FICO score friendly and very usable for online purchases.

+1

Message 5 of 20
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

Any credit inquiry for actual new credit will be a hard pull.  Don't be afraid of hard pulls.  They are not as bad as most make it seem.  I have 18 hard inquiries within the past 12 months, and I was still approved for a Capital One Sony Rewards card, and a WAL-MART card with just barely over a 617-625 score at this point in time.....With three derogitories still on my report...

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

People worry about INQs too much. Unnecessary HPs or ones for CLIs can be annoying, but the new account and AAoA reduction associated with said HP will ding your credit far more than the INQ. But to answer your question, the only store cards I know of that do this are WFFNB pre-approvals.
Message 7 of 20
MrsBigBucks
Established Member

My husband and I just bought a Mabbook through Best Buy.  The in-store customer service rep told us that they do a soft pull for their store card.  He got approved for $2000.  BK - 2 years ago not sure but score probably are 630.

Hope this helps.

Message 8 of 20
MamboItaliano
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous-key86 wrote:

My husband and I just bought a Mabbook through Best Buy.  The in-store customer service rep told us that they do a soft pull for their store card.  He got approved for $2000.  BK - 2 years ago not sure but score probably are 630.

Hope this helps.

In no way, shape, or form do I believe this. 

I'd say the CSR didn't know what he was talking about. 

Re-entered the garden on 9/16/2013.

Starting Score: (TU) 517 (EQ) 469 (EX) 519 (6/1/2010)
Current Score: (TU98) 714 (TU04) 712 (EQ Beacon 5.0) 672 (EX -FICO v2) 724 (6/13/13)
Goal Score: 700 Club for all 3 (2 out of 3 so far)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 20
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Wfnnb store cards seem to be being offered to some people online based on some soft pull while at online checkout for that store. No hard inquiry. Some secured visas don't pull hard inquiry. Not aware of any other credit product that reports to big 3 cra that give you credit withoutmhard.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.