cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions for a good REWARDS CARD?

tag
UpNUp
Regular Contributor

Any suggestions for a good REWARDS CARD?

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a good all around rewards card (gas, groceries, everyday purchases). I don't care about interest rates because I PIF, and I refuse to pay any kind of monthly maintainance or annual fee. My FICO scores range between  low to mid 700's and my credit reports are clean. I have a WAMU Platinum 3.5K limit 18 months old, Providian 8K limit 8 years old and a Lowes 2K limit 6 months old. Always pay in full and never, ever carry a balance.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any suggestions for a good REWARDS CARD?

I really like the PenFed platinum rewards visa. No annual fee, with 5% cashback for gas, 2% Groceries, and 1.25% for everything else. There is no limit or cap to the rewards you can earn.

My second fave that has no fee would be Discover.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another cheer for the Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards card. For all the reasons stated above. But for also being a true no hassle card. Rewards are automatically credited back to your account monthly. No dealing with some pre-set threshold you must reach. A true workhorse card that simply saves you money.

Wanted to add in case you were unaware Pentagon Federal Credit Union requires membership. There are many ways to join free the easiest being that you know another member who would sponsor you in. However if you meet none of the free membership options you can join NMFA (National Military Families Association) for $20 right from the Penfed website. That brings the total for membership to $25 since you must open a $5 share account.

They pull upon membership so do not be shy about application you already took the hit and they use that pull for everything for up to 90 days. One warning they have a known dislike of many INQ's and new accounts.

Message Edited by shreco on 11-30-2008 08:17 PM
Message 3 of 12
Phrostbyte

I personally think that PenFed is hands down the best... when I joined the MOAA was offering free one month trials so maybe they still have those.
Message 4 of 12
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

I hate to sa yit, but AMEX.

Starting Score: 454
Current Score: 690
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I have PenFed and AmEx, and I think PenFed wins, hands down.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The caveat of course is that you need near pristine credit to get the penfed card. And if you have no military connections, you have to donate to some nonprofit on top of your $5.00 membership fee. Otherwise, go with Discover if you don't feel like holding off until your scores are near 690-700.

Offtopic: penfed made 1 inquiry for both my membership pull and credit card application. Those of you who got hit with two inquiries (I've only seen two such posts) got a raw deal. 

Message 7 of 12
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

There's also the Nasa credit union Visa Platinum with cashRewards:

http://www.nasafcu.com/l2.aspx?ci=1042

You qualify for membership by joining the National Space Society:

http://www.nasafcu.com/l2.aspx?ci=866

On another site some people have reported only one report being pulled while other people have reported all three reports being pulled.
Message 8 of 12
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Lake Michigan Credit Union cash back credit card --

https://www.lmcu.org/Loans/Credit.aspx

# Rate as low as Prime + 7.25% (variable)
# 3% cash back on gas purchases (up to $500 per month) or three Reward points on gas purchases.
# 2% cash back on all grocery purchases (unlimited) or two Reward Points on all grocery purchases.
# 1% cash back on all other purchases (unlimited) or one Reward Point on all other purchases.

Join through ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Association) West Michigan Chapter donation -- Minimum $$ unknown ($ 5.00 ?)

http://webmi.alsa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=MI_Donation_Page
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 12-01-2008 06:27 AM
Message 9 of 12
jaybird201
Established Contributor

American Express True Earnings (Cash-back):

3% Gas

3% Restaurants

2% Travel

1% Everything else

Fidelity Visa Rewards Signature (Points):

1.5% Everything

*Redeemable for 1.5% cash-back

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.