cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions for another credit card?

tag
Chris87
Established Member

Any suggestions for another credit card?

I am looking to apply for 1 or 2 more credit cards and would like some input.  I have good credit...low utilization, no delinquencies.  I have the following right now:

1. Chase Freedom

2. PenFed Cash Rewards

3. Amex Blue

4. Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card

5. Fidelity 2%

Are there any that I am missing that would be a good addition?  I don't typically carry balances, so I am more interested in the rewards.  I am just trying to see if I should add a credit union or possibly another lender.  I would prefer to stay away from Citi (bad experience with them a few years ago).  I was thinking about applying for Discover, but I hear that the lines are typically very low.  I had considered the US Bank Cash+, but if I recall, you now have to apply in a branch (I'm not near one).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for another credit card?

@Chris87 wrote:

I am looking to apply for 1 or 2 more credit cards and would like some input.  I have good credit...low utilization, no delinquencies.  I have the following right now:

1. Chase Freedom

2. PenFed Cash Rewards

3. Amex Blue

5. Fidelity 2%

Are there any that I am missing that would be a good addition?  I don't typically carry balances, so I am more interested in the rewards.  I am just trying to see if I should add a credit union or possibly another lender.  I would prefer to stay away from Citi (bad experience with them a few years ago).  I was thinking about applying for Discover, but I hear that the lines are typically very low.  I had considered the US Bank Cash+, but if I recall, you now have to apply in a branch (I'm not near one).

Looking at the cards you have Discover would be a good addition for you as you would have all networks covered

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Discover

Sallie Mae would cover the 5% like USBank Cash+

Message 3 of 9
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Discover

Sallie Mae would cover the 5% like USBank Cash+

Yes to those two.

Also consider Bank Americard Better Balance rewards. if you set it up to auto-pay some small monthly bill, and pay in full, then its basically a free $25 or $30 every 3 months. So the cash back percentage goes up as the amount you charge goes down Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You might consider the OCCU Duck or Beaver card, they seem to offer hi start limits if you have the income and a clear history for at least the last 2 years. This card is available in rewards & non rewards versions.

Message 5 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Chris87 wrote:

1. Chase Freedom

2. PenFed Cash Rewards

3. Amex Blue

5. Fidelity 2%

Many people are able to apply for the Cash+ by applying over the phone.

I would suggest:  Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+ and Discover in that order.

Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@B335is wrote:

@Chris87 wrote:

1. Chase Freedom

2. PenFed Cash Rewards

3. Amex Blue

5. Fidelity 2%

Many people are able to apply for the Cash+ by applying over the phone. 

I would suggest:  Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+ and Discover in that order.

Your results can vary for the Cash+ ... some have had success in getting the Cash+ and others not so much - either ending up with a lesser or different product (or worse, declined for either not being in the service area or creditworthiness reasons).

Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

What are your goals?  You have some good cash back cards, and people are suggesting more, and the suitability depends on your spending patterns.   You have 2 MR cards and if you want travel rewards, maybe focus spend on those rather than getting more cards.  Alternatively, you have the Freedom, and if travel is of interest, maybe get the CSP to go with it (as it has a large bonus and AF waived for the first year).   If your focus is cash back, consider dumping the PRG when the AF becomes due

Message 8 of 9
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Discover IT, and Maybe Chase CSP to go with your Freedom.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.