Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any tips on how to get a rate reduction from Chase and Discover

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Any tips on how to get a rate reduction from Chase and Discover

armywifey85 wrote:

USAA is giving out 4% right now guess the credit crisis isn't hurting them thank god !!

FWIW, I just got a letter from them yesterday saying that they were raising the basic rate on all their cards to 11.99%, and that it was unrelated to the status of one's individual credit.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called both today to request lower rates.  We paid off all of our cc debt about 6 months ago and I thought it was time to try for lower rates.  Chase went from 18.99% to 12.99 % no problem ($200 balance on $3600 limit).  She did say that was the lowest rate right now.  Discover went from 18.99% to 1.9% for 6 months ($0 balance on $2500 limit).  I will have to call in 6 months to check on rates again because it will revert to 18.99%, but I have no problem with calling again. 

On a side note, I also called HHBank and they lowered the rate from 17.99% to 9.99%.

Good luck, they really seem willing to work with you!  Maybe the holiday spirit??

Message 12 of 22
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I enroll in a program with Take Charge America,

wouldn't Chase lower the rate for them?

If Chase thinks you are in financial trouble

you might get your rate jacked. 

Be careful. 

Do you have high utilization?

Message Edited by CreditAble on 12-19-2008 04:46 AM
Message 13 of 22
JRInWA
Valued Member

When I requested a CLI for my ChaseFreedom Visa in September (opened 6/2007), I also requested a rate reduction from 13.99% Variable Rate and 21.99% Cash Advance Rate.  They increased my CL and gave me two options:

9.99% Fixed Rate 19.99% Cash Advance Rate

7.99% Variable Rate 19.99% Cash Advance Rate

I took the fixed rate.

Also, when I requested a CLI for my Chase BP Visa last month (opened 8/2008), I also requested a rate reduction from 16.99% Variable Rate and 22.99% Cash Advance Rate.  They increased my CL and reduced my rate to:

6.99% Fixed Rate 19.99% Cash Advance Rate

Starting Score: EQ 797, TU 781, EX 781 (03/15/18)
Current Score: EQ 797, TU 781, EX 781 (03/15/18)
Goal Score: 800+ across the board!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 22
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

You can't balance transfer from one Chase card to another Chase card.
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, they reduced my credit limit but even before that I already had a high balance.
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

So how do you request a rate reduction? Just ask nicely? Are there some keywords I should use?
Message 17 of 22
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

OP, in order to get an APR reduction from Discover, your account has to be open for at least a year. Then they send you a form in the mail where you request it officially, as well as write your explanation on the area provided.

They sent me the form, but I never sent it back since my account has been opened for a year. The CSR didn't inform me of that. It was the first thing printed on the form. 

Here we go again...
Message 18 of 22
Established Contributor

javi84 wrote:
So how do you request a rate reduction? Just ask nicely? Are there some keywords I should use?

I would just ask nicely.

I would not give any signs that I am having trouble making payments. If your credit line is having the CL decreased as you pay down the balance, (chasing the balance), that could suggest that the company considers you somewhat of a risk. The CCC might consider giving you an interest rate  reduction if it feels that it will motivate you to pay down the balance  faster.

Key words to CSR:  "You can see by my record that I have been paying down my balance".  I would like to make even bigger payments. Is it possible to get an interest rate reduction so that more of the extra payments will help reduce the principle?" 

You did say that you have reduced the balance already? Promise to reduce it much faster if you get some help with the interest rate. The answer will give you some insight about how the creditor views your account status.

Of course if you do get the reduction you should make the effort to make bigger payments. A few months later you can rinse and repeat.

Key words:

"Notice how much I paid the balance down since my last interest rate reduction. I want to pay down the balance even faster. BTW, can you lower the interest rate even further?"

Javi,

I call my plan "chasing the interest rate down" as they "chase the balance down". Actually Debt Management Companies get interest rates lowered by suggesting that company will get more of its money back by helping the consumer avoid complete default.

The idea I am proposing is basically doing the same thing. You simply are not admitting that you are in financial trouble, and you won't have your credit score trashed.

Banks are worried about defaults. Make them give you lower interest rates in exchange for your assurance that you will not default. That is why you should reward the act of lowering interest rates by raising your payments. It might be a little tough to do, but it should be very financially rewarding in the long run.

Other Key words: I really like your credit card and I would like to use it more frequently after I get the balance paid off and I start PIFing every month.

Be positive and avoid words like I will "try". If you have already reduced your balance. You have earned the right to say that you will do something and expect that they will believe. Stand on your record as you make future commitments. Then stand on that new record to gain more concessions.

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditAble wrote:

I would just ask nicely.

I would not give any signs that I am having trouble making payments. If your credit line is having the CL decreased as you pay down the balance, (chasing the balance), that could suggest that the company considers you somewhat of a risk. The CCC might consider giving you an interest rate  reduction if it feels that it will motivate you to pay down the balance  faster.

Key words to CSR:  "You can see by my record that I have been paying down my balance".  I would like to make even bigger payments. Is it possible to get an interest rate reduction so that more of the extra payments will help reduce the principle?" 

You did say that you have reduced the balance already? Promise to reduce it much faster if you get some help with the interest rate. The answer will give you some insight about how the creditor views your account status.

Of course if you do get the reduction you should make the effort to make bigger payments. A few months later you can rinse and repeat.

Key words:

"Notice how much I paid the balance down since my last interest rate reduction. I want to pay down the balance even faster. BTW, can you lower the interest rate even further?"

Javi,

I call my plan "chasing the interest rate down" as they "chase the balance down". Actually Debt Management Companies get interest rates lowered by suggesting that company will get more of its money back by helping the consumer avoid complete default.

The idea I am proposing is basically doing the same thing. You simply are not admitting that you are in financial trouble, and you won't have your credit score trashed.

Banks are worried about defaults. Make them give you lower interest rates in exchange for your assurance that you will not default. That is why you should reward the act of lowering interest rates by raising your payments. It might be a little tough to do, but it should be very financially rewarding in the long run.

Other Key words: I really like your credit card and I would like to use it more frequently after I get the balance paid off and I start PIFing every month.

Be positive and avoid words like I will "try". If you have already reduced your balance. You have earned the right to say that you will do something and expect that they will believe. Stand on your record as you make future commitments. Then stand on that new record to gain more concessions.

Thanks, I gave it a try and Chase gave me the usual "we're sorry but that's the lowest we can offer, call back in a few months". Discover was more helpful, they lowered it from 16.99% to 14.99%. Not a whole lot but definately helpful.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.