Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any use for CapOne Quicksilver now?

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Any use for CapOne Quicksilver now?

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess the no FTFs is worth keeping the QS for. Is this a hard thing to find in other cards?

At that high a reward rate without an AF and with straight cashback, there are no other cards with no FTF. Discover IT comes the closest, 1% base reward and no FTF.

The Orbitz Visa by Comenity does have 2% flat rewards on everything and no FTF, but you can only redeem for hotel rooms booked through Orbitz.

Message 11 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It all comes down to perspective. To me the QS is a better all around card because the rewards feel like less of a hassle. If you are seeking the absolute highest reward rate yes you want a Double Cash. If you are a big spender, it will earn you much more over time, and you will always eventually get 2%.

For me, I'm a more moderate spender, occasionally have to carry a small balance, etc, so the QS is less of a hassle for me. But your milage will vary. Every person is different.

Message 12 of 26
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately QS is obsolete.  Now times 2 since DC came out.  I am using mine for the intro APR to carry my Christmas balance for a few months, but once that's paid off I can't think of any good reason to reach for QS over Fidelity AMEX.

If you're jet setting around the world, there are better no FTF options than QS and I'm not exactly sure what it means if you need to redeem your rewards for $15 bucks or whatever. 

The best use of QS at this point is to service Capital One's bread and butter sub-prime market.  If you can't get a DC or Fidelity AMEX then yes QS is the best card for you in that situation.  In that regard the card still serves a valuable purpose and has a place in the market.

Message 13 of 26
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess the no FTFs is worth keeping the QS for. Is this a hard thing to find in other cards?

At that high a reward rate without an AF and with straight cashback, there are no other cards with no FTF. Discover IT comes the closest, 1% base reward and no FTF.

The Orbitz Visa by Comenity does have 2% flat rewards on everything and no FTF, but you can only redeem for hotel rooms booked through Orbitz.

I just got the Quicksilver, by mistake, because I thought they were the bank that would be offering the EQ 08.  Are you saying that there is no Foreign Transaction Fee? If that's the case, it'll become my go-to-travel card.

I've been thinking about applying for the Double Cash, for the FICO score and the rewards, but adding another card to the rotation.  Not so sure.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@BottomRanker wrote:

Quicksilver is way better to me

* 0% FTF

* Redeem from $0.01, in any amount

* 1.5% on everything

Double Cash is inferior because:

* 3% FTF

* Redeem in multiples of $25 (not any amount)

* 1% on purchases + 1% on payments. You lose 1% if you redeem cashback for a statement credit!

(I don't have the Double Cash so I'm only going off what I've read.)

Well, that last DC inferior point is really an advantage, because it IS 2% which beats 1.5%

The statement credit reduces the reward to 1.99%, which a) beats 1.5% and b) is easily avoided by redeeming to your bank account, which gives more flexibility anyway.

Message 15 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

At a certain point I think have two of the "same purpose" cards becomes self-defeating. DC and QS are both basically for general spend. I don't feel anyone needs two cards for just general spending.  If you have two "same purpose" category cards, such Discover IT and Freedom,  or two grocery cards with the same structures, etc, you end up splitting your spending and therefore splitting rewards. One card for each purpose tends to be enough in my opinion to maximize your rewards. I'd rather redeem rewards from one card for $40 then having two cards with $20 in rewards each.

Message 16 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bdhu2001 wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got the Quicksilver, by mistake, because I thought they were the bank that would be offering the EQ 08.  Are you saying that there is no Foreign Transaction Fee? If that's the case, it'll become my go-to-travel card.

I've been thinking about applying for the Double Cash, for the FICO score and the rewards, but adding another card to the rotation.  Not so sure.

Capital One cards have no FTF.

Message 17 of 26
BottomRanker
New Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

If you're jet setting around the world, there are better no FTF options than QS

Such as what cards?  And before you list cards with expensive annual fees, there are people who don't spend enough to come out 1.5% rewards ahead of those annual fees.

Message 18 of 26
yfan
Valued Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

Unfortunately QS is obsolete.  Now times 2 since DC came out.  I am using mine for the intro APR to carry my Christmas balance for a few months, but once that's paid off I can't think of any good reason to reach for QS over Fidelity AMEX.

If you're jet setting around the world, there are better no FTF options than QS and I'm not exactly sure what it means if you need to redeem your rewards for $15 bucks or whatever.

Obsolete to you isn't obsolete to everyone else. And no, there are no better no FTF, no AF, cash rewards options than the QuickSilver.

Also, one needs not "jet set" around the world for the no FTF to be useful and attractive. Lots of Americans (myself included) have family in other countries they visit once a year or so. There are other occasional travelers. Others' idea of a foreign trip is Vancouver or Mexico City. Still others may wish to buy an item only available through a foreign currency and have it shipped here. Everyone's needs are different.

Message 19 of 26
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@BottomRanker wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

If you're jet setting around the world, there are better no FTF options than QS

Such as what cards?  And before you list cards with expensive annual fees, there are people who don't spend enough to come out 1.5% rewards ahead of those annual fees.

Yes, my better options would be travel oriented cards that do have anual fees.  CSP or Marriott would likely be my go to cards both of which would beat 1.5% depending upon how I went about redeeming the rewards.  I don't have one, but Barclay Arrival also comes to mind.

I personally only travel domestically but I would assume someone traveling around the world would benefit even more than myself from a travel oriented card.  Generally the rewards easily cover the AF.  The anual free night on Marriott for example would come in handy when traveling and more than covers the AF.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.