Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any use for discover?

tag
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Any use for discover?

I feel like I have neglected my Discover card in the past year or so..what would be a good use for the card? I know if I would use it for everyday use I would give up a lot of cash back. Thanks
CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Any use for discover?

@xgac12x wrote:
I feel like I have neglected my Discover card in the past year or so..what would be a good use for the card? I know if I would use it for everyday use I would give up a lot of cash back. Thanks

well obviously the 5 % categories, but i think an lot of people over look shopdiscover. You can get many good deal if you are shopping online. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 11
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

well obviously the 5 % categories, but i think an lot of people over look shopdiscover. You can get many good deal if you are shopping online. 

That and usually any categories that Chase doesnt have and Discover does.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 11
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

I have to agree with this, before I do an online purchase I check to see if shopdiscover has something to offer first.

This has saved me 10 - 15% a couple of times.

EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 4 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@GetTheFico wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

I have to agree with this, before I do an online purchase I check to see if shopdiscover has something to offer first.

Always check something like http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/ first!

Shopdiscover is often the top or among the top, but frequently enough another portal does better.   And you can use any card

Message 5 of 11
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@GetTheFico wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

Shopdiscover is often the top or among the top, but frequently enough another portal does better.   And you can use any card

Thanks!

I've never heard of this website, had to bookmark it.

EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 6 of 11
makin_no_cents
Valued Member

Thanks!

I've never heard of this website, had to bookmark it.

+1

Message 7 of 11
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

I only use mine 6 months of the year during the 5% restaurant and gas quarters

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 8 of 11
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

@GetTheFico wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

Thanks for the site info. Have been reading to see what others are doing, I am new to cash back and rewards and was feeling overwhelmed with comparing.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 9 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

For those new to cashback sites (rather than credit card malls), points to note:

1) Usually cashback through non-cc sites takes much longer than getting a credit on your statement, 2 to 4 months.

2) For some malls, you will get tracking information quickly, within hours or a few days of purchase.   The cashback won't be available (see #1!) but you have some sense of security.  Other malls will not show activity at all until shortly before the cash becomes available

3) For maximum safety, don't use codes/coupons not listed on the site.  Using others CAN be used as reasons to refuse the cashback, but often it seems ok.

4) On credit card sites, you CAN use a different credit card, and it will generally work.  The problem comes if something goes wrong, often people won't or can't help.

So why use them?   Often better rates, flexibiity of cards, and a much wider choice (because they are so many).  There are also other uses, such as keeping frequent flier balances alive.  AA requires some usage every 18 months: if you aren't flying, and don't want to pay the AF for a Citi AA card, you can make a small purchase through the AA mall every year or so.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.