Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any word on a new AAdvantage card?

tag
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Any word on a new AAdvantage card?

With the merger of AA and UsAir, any word on a new credit card? Hoping they will offer a good starting bonus in Q3 or Q4 if they release one. That would be perfect for me. I already have two inq's this year and not looking for anymore. I had a barclay usair card, but it wasn't worth the AF and I only used the companion fare once.

Link to the news article regarding the proposed card. If it is indeed Citi offering it, I may bite. I have been getting softed by citi for the past 7 months, not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-29/us-airways-amr-merger-spurs-talks-on-branded-credit-cards.h...

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
blk8
Regular Contributor

Re: Any word on a new AAdvantage card?

No word as of yet. I'm in Phoenix and have a few friends that work in USAIR Corp ... last i heard, there is a good chance both Barclay and Citi will carry the "new american" card. I do hope it turns out this way as I would love to apply for both and double up on the bonus miles :-)

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@blk8 wrote:

No word as of yet. I'm in Phoenix and have a few friends that work in USAIR Corp ... last i heard, there is a good chance both Barclay and Citi will carry the "new american" card. I do hope it turns out this way as I would love to apply for both and double up on the bonus miles :-)

We took out both a Business World AA and a Business US Air with more miles or what ever it is.... bonus was in USAir within 30 days.... we cleared the Citi bonus stipulation couple weeks ago and the payment is processing through now so we will see how long that takes Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
blk8
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@blk8 wrote:

We took out both a Business World AA and a Business US Air with more miles or what ever it is.... bonus was in USAir within 30 days.... we cleared the Citi bonus stipulation couple weeks ago and the payment is processing through now so we will see how long that takes Smiley Happy

Nice move! How long til you can apply for the personal versions? Smiley Wink

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 4 of 6
boomersooner02000
Valued Member

The most recent article I've seen about this specific issue was in my local newspaper on 4/30/13.

"American Airlines and US Airways Group Inc. are negotiating with banks including Barclays and Citigroup to provide a branded credit card for the combined carrier. 

"As we bring two strong currencies together, we'll have one, stronger currency," Andrew Nocella, US Airways senior vice president for marketing and planning, said Monday at a conference. "We are working with all our banks. Every single one wants to work with us." 

US Airways' loyalty credit card has been handled by Barclays Plc since 2006, while American's have been issued by Citigroup Inc. for 26 years. The cards, which carry the airlines' names, are valued by passengers because purchases made with them earn credits that can be used to buy tickets. 

US Airways and American expect to complete their merger in the third quarter, when Fort Worth-based AMR Corp. - American's parent - receives approval to exit bankruptcy protection. The combined carrier, which will retain the American name, will pass United Continental Holdings Inc. as the world's largest airline, based on passenger traffic. 

The eventual credit-card agreement "will be very lucrative to us," Nocella told US Airways managers at the airline's annual leadership conference near its headquarters in Tempe, Ariz. 

Kevin Sullivan, a Barclays spokesman, did not return a phone call or email seeking comment outside of regular business hours. Emily Collins, a spokeswoman for New York-based Citigroup, didn't immediately respond to emailed requests for comment. 

The new airline will have the second-largest card program in the world, behind only retailer Sears Holdings Corp., Nocella said. 

US Airways' Dividend Miles credit cards are supported by MasterCard Inc. and Visa Inc., as are American's AAdvantage cards. The combined card would "be the largest MasterCard program in the world," he said. "Visa is calling me every day."

Message 5 of 6
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

You're probably looking at another year or so until a "new" card comes out.  Looking at the Continental/United and AirTran/Southwest mergers, as long as the frequent flyer programs remain separate, there will be a separate card.  Combining these systems is a pretty complex process and can take a while.  Continental and United merged 10/10 and didn't really have a combined credit card program until 03/12.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.