cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Refuses to Take a HP for a CLI?

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone Refuses to Take a HP for a CLI?

@09Lexie wrote:
For my barely used cc's that are circling the bowl, no. Why ask for a HP on a CL you have no intention of using. The cards most heavily used -yes.

Interesting we all enjoy the 3x CLI on Amex as a SP; would we be as happy if they changed their policy to HPs?

Wow - I had seen those threads - but as AMEX will have no part of me -  I did not read through them much.  I had no idea these were SPs -  Has this been standard practice at AMEX for a while - and does it matter which cad you have?  I would think that for a chance at 3x CLI - many would still go for it.  

I have not had two of my cards long enough to know what the CLI pattern is -  Barclays is pretty regular - every 6-8 months auto CLI.  Discover - always approved - but always a HP; one for $1500 and one for $2000.  

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 21 of 27
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Changingmantra

The CLI's policy for Amex has been SP's for as long as I can remember. It's available on all revolvers.
Message 22 of 27
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I have no issues with taking a HP for a CLI.

If it's customer-initiated, it should be a HP. Auto-CLIs can be SP since you weren't the one who asked for it.

If it's been 6 months or more since my last CLI and I have been effectively managing credit, I think I shouldn't have to settle for an HP.  Discover gave me a SP increase after repeatedly trying to get me to do a HP.  An HP makes sense if I have a sizeable limit relative to my income or if I have mismanaged my credit from that issuer. 

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 23 of 27
enharu
Super Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

If it's customer-initiated, it should be a HP. Auto-CLIs can be SP since you weren't the one who asked for it.

If it's been 6 months or more since my last CLI and I have been effectively managing credit, I think I shouldn't have to settle for an HP.  Discover gave me a SP increase after repeatedly trying to get me to do a HP.  An HP makes sense if I have a sizeable limit relative to my income or if I have mismanaged my credit from that issuer. 

It's really a matter of whether you really need that CLI.

If you want a CLI just for padding or trophy purposes, taking a HP for it wouldn't make any sense. 

Lenders do perodically review accounts and issue out auto CLIs over time. If you don't have an issue waiting for it to happen, that's perfectly fine too. Same thing for pre-approving customers for CLI via SP. 

Customers are not entitled to a CLI just because they have been effectively managing credit. Effectively managing your own credit is something you are already supposed to do. Banks will just simply close / CLD the accounts if they think you're not managing credit well. In a way it's like paying taxes. You're supposed to pay your taxes on time. You are not going to get any extra rewards for paying your taxes on time, but you are supposed to. Otherwise, there's penalties involved.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 24 of 27
kmkotas

Heck no!! I'm super stingy with my hard inquiries, especially since I'm trying to qualify for a mortgage..

1st Financial Bank USA Mastercard (2007) $1,900.00
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2008) $16,000
American Express Gold (April 2013) NPSL
Discover It (April 2013) $5,000
**Experian 765, Equifax 782, TU 787**
Message 25 of 27
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

My Discover it card is 8 months old now, and when I tried for a CLI after 6 months, they wanted a HP. I said no thanks. My CL is only $1,700. Even so, I will not take a HP hit for a CLI. I run about 2K-3K monthly. Hopefully they will auto CLI me soon. If not, I will probably use the card less.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 26 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

It's really a matter of whether you really need that CLI.

If you want a CLI just for padding or trophy purposes, taking a HP for it wouldn't make any sense. 

Lenders do perodically review accounts and issue out auto CLIs over time. If you don't have an issue waiting for it to happen, that's perfectly fine too. Same thing for pre-approving customers for CLI via SP. 

Customers are not entitled to a CLI just because they have been effectively managing credit. Effectively managing your own credit is something you are already supposed to do. Banks will just simply close / CLD the accounts if they think you're not managing credit well. In a way it's like paying taxes. You're supposed to pay your taxes on time. You are not going to get any extra rewards for paying your taxes on time, but you are supposed to. Otherwise, there's penalties involved.

+1

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.