cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone approved for AMEX with Collections?? Do Tell

tag
NPE

Re: Anyone approved for AMEX with Collections?? Do Tell

I was approved for the Zync in 2012 with 3 paid COs reporting, all about 2.2 years old. Not sure about my EX, but EQ was 660 and TU 709 before applying, according to MyFico.

Amex Zync NPSL | Amex SPG 5.8k | Cap One Platinum 2k | Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards 2k | Merrick Visa 300 | Walmart Discover 5k
TU - 663 (Walmart) | EQ - 694 (MyFico) | EX - 671 (MyFico)
Message 21 of 29
LipzyDaizy
Regular Contributor

I was approved for the amex gold charge card on Sunday with two collections I'm trying to pfd. They did send me an invitation to apply. Apped for the True Earnings right after and got a big fat No! Didn't surprise me considering my Ex score is so low. I'm still in shock over the gold approval though.
Current Scores - EX 658, EQ 713, TU 722
Message 22 of 29
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@LipzyDaizy wrote:
I was approved for the amex gold charge card on Sunday with two collections I'm trying to pfd. They did send me an invitation to apply. Apped for the True Earnings right after and got a big fat No! Didn't surprise me considering my Ex score is so low. I'm still in shock over the gold approval though.

Your experience is similar to mine. I apped for BCE right after getting approved for the PRG and got NO!...then tried for the EveryDay 30 days later and still no. EX FICO is around 660 tho.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 23 of 29
creditFiend
Established Contributor

1pd med coll from 2/2012. 1unpaid judgement from 1/2009. Wanted to app for BCE. But app'd for green just to get foot in the door. Instant approval.
Hopefully, by 2016 I can app for whatever I want.
Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 24 of 29
Legen_dary
Frequent Contributor

This is basically my profile when I applied for my first AmEx (Green) last year:

Baddies:

5 charged-off/collection accounts (from ~2009, all settled)

1 paid off student loan account (shows multiple lates)

1 utility in collections (paid)

Good Stuff:

1 secured card (600 CL)

2 unsecured cards (2250 CL combined)

Small Student Loan (clean pmt history)

AAoA: 2 years

They did send me an invitation to apply (if that makes a difference). Also, a few months ago I apped and got approved for the AmEx Blue (and 3x CLI 61 days later). I am very confident in AmEx and plan on upgrading my Green to PRG at 13 months, and applying for the TrueEarnings card during my next spree.

My guess for AmEx liking me is because I've never burned them before, I currently have no significant debt, and my income is very good for my age range (25-29), so they probably want me as a customer in the long term haha. So far it's working because I like them a lot more than any other CC company right now!

Message 25 of 29
Brax
Frequent Contributor

I was instantly approved for an Amex Green when I applied in 2012 with 2 UNPAID medical collections of almost $2,500 from 2007.

Looking back, I was very fortunate to have ZERO inquiries on Experian in the last two years when I applied with a relatively thick file for a 20-something. A few days after this, I applied for a Chase card and it gave my EX FICO of 694.

6 months later, I got approved for 4K with Amex Delta Gold . The collections still being unpaid no doubt caused my 61 day 3x CLI to be denied. When I tried again after another 90+ days, I was approved for the full 3x CLI.

In my opinion, Amex is the most viable way to claw your way into 5-digit limits if you have collections.

Message 26 of 29
DELSOL2020
Established Member

Approved with 2 charge offs and 3 collections paid.  All over 5 yrs old.  It was the Zync with hard limit.  I was also a former customer back in 1987.  Account was backdated to 1987!  

Current Score: EX 686, EQ 679, TU 724 May 04, 2015
Short Term Goal: EX 700, EQ 700, TU 700
Goal Score: EX 750, EQ 750, TU 750
Message 27 of 29
mum4519
Contributor

1 public record, 2010

3 collections

May 15, 2013 - Approved AMEX BCE 5k, now 17k

- In My Wallet -

AMEX BCE $17,000
Wells Fargo Rewards $9,200
Chase Southwest VISA $5,200
Message 28 of 29
eagle2013
Established Contributor

1 paid [settled less than full balance] CO, 2009

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.