Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone avoid store cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone avoid store cards?

I don't.  I have several and use them.  I like the ease of use on their web sites not to mention their rewards dollars are great.  Just bought hubby his "Jeff Probst" shirts in Beall's and got 70.00 free to spend in a couple of days.  So that means another shirt for him and whatever!  Others offer good promo's like 12-18 month zero % financing on larger purchases.  Better to use their cards for some items instead of the major ones with 0%.  Since I can save them for travel or bigger purchases.  I don't need a card late at night to shop since it's put it in your cart and check out and free shipping.  But I only have the ones I normally shop at.

Message 71 of 89
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

I like using the Kohl's credit card for the 30% discounts once in a while. I also use sears and best buy when I need to buy an expensive appliance and want to get 12-24 months interest free. I have a sears card right now that I owe about 300 bucks on from getting a dish washer about a year ago. The minimum payment is seriously like 3 bucks a month. Mind you, I pay well over that to have the balance paid before the promo expires but it's cool to know that if times got REAL tough for me, I could dig in the couch cushions to make my minimum payment. LOL

Message 72 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Journeygod wrote:
If it doesn't have an MC or Visa logo on it I don't want it. You hear people on here yelling about having $18,000 on a Home Depot card- LOL Really???

How many hammers can you buy?

18k on a Home Depot card when you need to remodel a home is nothing. That will barely get you the appliances you need in your house or materials for 2 bathroom remodel 

Message 73 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

@acciofirebolt wrote:

I try to aviod them and make up an excuse as to why I can't everytime I'm asked if I want to open one. The only one I've been tempted to get is the Amazon store one but since I'm a AU on my mom's Chase Amazon card I don't feel like I need one as much. I'm also a AU on my mom's Macy's Amex and I also get to use the store account, so technically I have a store account but I rarely use it.

Chase Amazon is 3% for Amazon purchase. Amazon store is 5% statement credit with prime

Message 74 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I loved store cards when I was first getting started with credit.  Currently, my budget is so damn tight I have no purpose for store cards lol.  Honestly I don't think I would ever get one again.  I just prefer actual credit cards...I already have too many cards in my wallet....Smiley Sad

Message 75 of 89
codimom
Frequent Contributor

I have 2 store cards, both from my rebuilding days.  Kohls?  narfed my limit when I made a mistake (thought I'd used a gift card, and it was my charge...needless to say I paid the stupid tax on that one) and they have not restored any of the limit since then (and its been like 5 years now and they still haven't closed it) and I have a Target card.  Now that they are less stingy with their increases, I like it.   I appreciate getting a flat 5% off all the time.  

Other than those 2, my mile/cash back cards work well.  I don't carry balances, but if I had to buy something BIG a home depot or lowes might be a good choice, but it hasn't yet.

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 76 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have generally tried to avoid them, and succeeded so far.

But a lot of that comes down to me not shopping all that much at any particular store.

The Amazon CC was a consideration but after getting my Sallie Mae I had no need to look into it.

I can see myself applying for a Lowes/Home Depot card next year though after buying my first house!

Message 77 of 89
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Generally not worth it for me because of the rewards. With the exception of lowes 5% instant discount and maybe Home Depot special financing. It depends on where you shop I guess.

That being said, they did help me on rebuilding. So I think they serve some people a purpose.  

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 78 of 89
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Iv completely avoided store cards, and esp any cards obtained via SCT in my credit building process...

That said.. Im tempted to go for the Amazon Prime store card... Once my score comes back up from my mini-spree.... And my Disco will fill in for that in the next bonus cashback period .... So no need to go chase it right now...   

If you shop at a store frequently, a store card can have its advantages, but having a lot of low limit store cards can just bring your score down for next to zero reward...

Message 79 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Store cards are really only useful if you shop at the merchant enough.  In many cases being a card member is the only way to get access to the best sales.  A few months ago Nordstrom invited me to a catered party which was actually quite nice.  Not only did it provide access to a great sale, but the alcohol was top shelf and the h'ordeuvres were fantastic.  They also comp your alterations (saved me $100 when I treated my mom to a shopping spree for mothers day), provide a Visa Signature card, as well as tripple points days to declare on your own, and a bunch of other features.  

Not every store card gives good benefits.  Though I've really enjoyed my high end cards for the perks they afford me.

I got a mailer yesterday from Nordstrom that made me think of this thread.  I received an invite to schedule a personal 10 point day.  That's 10% cash back! 

Message 80 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.