Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone avoid store cards?

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Anyone avoid store cards?

I dont mind them as i really dont make enough to only go for ccs for rewards but the tons Smiley Happy or travel cards. I just like to have the major ones like Pennys Sears and Macys . Makes me feel good knowing my credit is coming back to have them. Amazon seems to be great too. But to each their own.Smiley Happy
Message 81 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of my store cards are also Visa or mastercards. I have maybe 2 that are plain store cards.
I love my visa and mastercards store card. I use them to get points for free clothes. I enjoy the coupons too.
I have Amex, chase, tons of bank cards I enjoy those for travel and other needs as well.

Store cards are not bad, it's even better when they're a visa or MasterCard. Just saying.
Message 82 of 89
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Agree JellyBeanGurl if i could have my store cards a visa mc or amex even better, looks better, even though i know looks arent everything Smiley Wink. I just have to keep improving my scores to earn those baby's Smiley Happy
Message 83 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Agree JellyBeanGurl if i could have my store cards a visa mc or amex even better, looks better, even though i know looks arent everything Smiley Wink. I just have to keep improving my scores to earn those baby's Smiley Happy

Yes! They do look better and versatile. I have the two store cards and it's hard to get some used on them because it's only for that store. But let's say for Old Navy, I can charge it anywhere and get points for free clothes! Keep at it! You'll get there! I think if the store cards didn't offer Visa or MC I probably wouldnt get them. 

Message 84 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Yes! They do look better and versatile. I have the two store cards and it's hard to get some used on them because it's only for that store. But let's say for Old Navy, I can charge it anywhere and get points for free clothes! Keep at it! You'll get there! I think if the store cards didn't offer Visa or MC I probably wouldnt get them. 

Wow. Hadn't thought about it that way. Will strive for Visa and MC store cards from now on!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 85 of 89
Kidcat
Established Contributor

I have Lowes, Amazon Prime and Talbots and they all get regular use.  Especially Amazon and Lowes.  With Talbots you get $25 every $100 spent, and they are my go to place for work clothes. Edited to add: you also get free shipping.  I love my Talbots card.  With Lowes the 5% back, and special financing 5.99% for purchases over $3500 with a fixed payment, or extended deferred interest, are great options to have as a homeowner.  I've had Amazon Prime so long, it just makes sense for me to have the 5% off every purchase with no caps, since I spend a fair amount there for household staples and food  every month.  I average about $15-$20 statement credit per month.

For me store cards have their place, if it is a place that you shop regularly and they have a loyalty program of some sort.

I saw many mention the REI- I have it and don't consider it a store card because it's a MC.  Every once in a while they have really good promos for groceries, dining etc.  I'm sitting on a $68 dividend with minimal use.  Last year dividend was over $100

As an aside I never did the SCT, so my store cards were specifically targeted.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 86 of 89
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I have a couple of them. They don't bother me, even though they don't give me much back. The good thing is I only have ones I actually use.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 87 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love the Amazon store card. 5% back!! The Amazon visa is only 3% back

Message 88 of 89
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Well, I have to take my prior post back.  The Amazon Prime store card is going to be of use to me and is now part of my lineup.

Message 89 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.