cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone been FR'd by Amex more than once?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone been FR'd by Amex more than once?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Some people have been FRd more than once, in one reported case only a few months later (where at least the tax return info was exactly the same)

The general feeling is that Amex has been reassured to some extent, so they are somewhat less likely to react than they did in the first place, but if enought triggers go off, nothing prevents more FRs.

Wondering ... is all this talk about American Express FR's unique to this board or is there something bigger in the wind?

The talk never goes away!   Other boards talk about it from time to time, especially trying to guess what triggers might be (including the type "My friend heard from his cousin's buddy's dental assistant that charging more than $30 in a bar in the afternoon is going to get you FRd.")

I don't think there is any increased FR activity.   Biggest ongoing thing is shutdown of OBC in CA, and that isn't done by FRs anyway.

I've been meaning to ask you this and I probably missed it in earlier threads, but what is OBC?

Message 11 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Some people have been FRd more than once, in one reported case only a few months later (where at least the tax return info was exactly the same)

The general feeling is that Amex has been reassured to some extent, so they are somewhat less likely to react than they did in the first place, but if enought triggers go off, nothing prevents more FRs.

Wondering ... is all this talk about American Express FR's unique to this board or is there something bigger in the wind?

The talk never goes away!   Other boards talk about it from time to time, especially trying to guess what triggers might be (including the type "My friend heard from his cousin's buddy's dental assistant that charging more than $30 in a bar in the afternoon is going to get you FRd.")

I don't think there is any increased FR activity.   Biggest ongoing thing is shutdown of OBC in CA, and that isn't done by FRs anyway.

I've been meaning to ask you this and I probably missed it in earlier threads, but what is OBC?

Amex Old Blue Cash.    Shut down for many in Oct-Nov.  CA has strict rules and requires 30 days notice of account cancellation, so the shutdowns have just started taking effect there.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Amex Old Blue Cash.    Shut down for many in Oct-Nov.  CA has strict rules and requires 30 days notice of account cancellation, so the shutdowns have just started taking effect there.

Thanks!  I assume this was for MS?

Message 13 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

For usage inconsistent with personal or household expenses.    Even if your household needs 80 $500 gift cards a month, Amex doesn't like it!

Message 14 of 21
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Back when I first opened by Amex in 2011. I got fr'd after 2 months had a hard limit placed. Then 2012 hard limit take off. In 2013 we opened a business gold and our spending went Crzy higher and we put about 400k in charges through with multiple payments. At that time we were FR'd no hard limits and good to go. In 2014 we have spent 2.5 million one day I in oct I called amex at night to question a charge and call was directed to Fr department, I was oh great here we go again. I woke up in the morning ready with tax returns. Early morning all cards are open no FR. The computer sparked a FR and then the FR department was alerted and then just gave my account the ok.
I'm just looking to build my line now with amex. I'm really trying to get my limit upto the 375-500k limit per month. That can increase our business like crazy.

Right now across business I'm at 175 and 85 on my personal plat. Hopefully in a few months we can get it upto 300k.
Message 15 of 21
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Gift cards on personal amex not a good idea, that looks too weird.

I have friends that buy 1-3 million a month In gift cards on their business cards. Some straight from amex, others through various gift card sources.
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

For usage inconsistent with personal or household expenses.    Even if your household needs 80 $500 gift cards a month, Amex doesn't like it!

Now that made me laugh 😋

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@youngman1234 wrote:
Gift cards on personal amex not a good idea, that looks too weird.

I have friends that buy 1-3 million a month In gift cards on their business cards. Some straight from amex, others through various gift card sources.

And they get MR points for those gift cards ?

Message 18 of 21
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Message 19 of 21
youngman1234
Established Contributor

No the don't get the MR points, they have plum cards so they get the 1.5% rebate
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.