Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone belong to MCU - Municipal Credit Union ? + List of Some NY Credit Unions

tag
AkashV
Established Member

Re: MCU Member

I work for this place. Last paystubs and id needed for loan application but please take your business elsewhere. MCU is a hit or miss Credit union. It all depends on which loan officer is reviewing your application and the mood he is in. You are better off with capital one or Nefcu. Conservative lender by far. Employees are decline for rediculous reasons. I am not sure this MCU is the only CU that does this. As an employee I advised people to proceed with caution. If you have good scores and good income with a good history give them a try otherwise I haven't seen people get approval easily lately.

Message 21 of 27
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@AkashV wrote:

I work for this place. Last paystubs and id needed for loan application but please take your business elsewhere. MCU is a hit or miss Credit union. It all depends on which loan officer is reviewing your application and the mood he is in. You are better off with capital one or Nefcu. Conservative lender by far. Employees are decline for rediculous reasons. I am not sure this MCU is the only CU that does this. As an employee I advised people to proceed with caution. If you have good scores and good income with a good history give them a try otherwise I haven't seen people get approval easily lately.

you are absolutely right on this, can testify to that! I been banking with them since 2012 and as of the time I was working for the city. Recently I just noticed they started charging like $9.95 on my account every month. Back in early 2013 I applied for a $5k personal loan but they approved with a $2k counter offer and asked me to come to the branch with my ID and a copy of my last paystub for closing. U know I wasted my time to go there only for them to reverse the approval saying some BS that my income was insufficient. Moreover I applied for their useless Classic card some months back and they declined for "limited credit experience" mind I have 4yrs of history. Even at that, arent CU supposed to be more lenient? This is where I gave up on them! Opening an ordinary checking account with them is a hassle, they want u to provide documentation of ur life, the employees there are quite rude I mean the branch on Lafayette Street. Done with this crazy CU!!!!

Message 22 of 27
Rain77
Frequent Contributor

I was just approved for the Platinum Visa, it took some work.  Tried 3x for a card with them, and 3rd time was the charm.  When I first applied my CR was messy and scores were close to or slightly over 600 (so I do understand their reason for denial, kind of ).  They really don't seem to be one of the more forgiving and I'll give you a chance CU's.  My first denial, I literally had to pull teeth to get them to give me the reasons for denial which took over 30 days, and a reminder that by law they need to supply this info.  I applied for the Visa as a last ditch effort a couple weeks ago since I was going to close the account. 

Last HP 8/29/14

Message 23 of 27
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@Rain77 wrote:

I was just approved for the Platinum Visa, it took some work.  Tried 3x for a card with them, and 3rd time was the charm.  When I first applied my CR was messy and scores were close to or slightly over 600 (so I do understand their reason for denial, kind of ).  They really don't seem to be one of the more forgiving and I'll give you a chance CU's.  My first denial, I literally had to pull teeth to get them to give me the reasons for denial which took over 30 days, and a reminder that by law they need to supply this info.  I applied for the Visa as a last ditch effort a couple weeks ago since I was going to close the account. 

question the platinum visa they approved u for how generous were they with the CL? I will try them one more time in December when my new accounts hits the 6 month mark and if they dont give in, I am closing my share savings and checking account without reservation. But on the flip side, when they offered me the $2k loan my EX score was somewhere between 570-590 (very low). I just find it absurd that they will deny me cos my then $25k income was "too low" according to them (for a $2k loan). I think their denial was more on the fact that I was working part time than the fact that I was grossing $25k. Cos I remember when I was with the loan officer lady she kept emphasizing on my working part time before she left the desk and only to come back to tell me they retracted my approval. I saved myself from dealing with a 15% APR but that's by the way. Don't care bout them no more... enjoy ur new credit with MCU and hope the experience turns out rewarding!

Message 24 of 27
Rain77
Frequent Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

@Rain77 wrote:

question the platinum visa they approved u for how generous were they with the CL? I will try them one more time in December when my new accounts hits the 6 month mark and if they dont give in, I am closing my share savings and checking account without reservation. But on the flip side, when they offered me the $2k loan my EX score was somewhere between 570-590 (very low). I just find it absurd that they will deny me cos my then $25k income was "too low" according to them (for a $2k loan). I think their denial was more on the fact that I was working part time than the fact that I was grossing $25k. Cos I remember when I was with the loan officer lady she kept emphasizing on my working part time before she left the desk and only to come back to tell me they retracted my approval. I saved myself from dealing with a 15% APR but that's by the way. Don't care bout them no more... enjoy ur new credit with MCU and hope the experience turns out rewarding!

My limit is $7400. I was surprised it was that much and more surprised they pulled TU.  Maybe you can see if you can get into SEFCU.  They pulled EQ for me which was and is my best report/score. 

Last HP 8/29/14

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone belong to MCU - Municipal Credit Union ?

@quest208 wrote:

for people looking for other credit unions, there are ways to join Justice Federal Credit Union by joining an association.

they offer visa cards and affinity credit cards that look kinda cool.

i do not  know much about justice federal, i guess you'd have to do your research but just trying to give you an alternative whoever was looking for one.

i might have another alternative for NY credit unions that anyone can join, check back later i will try to find my list of credit unions and ill post here in this thread (if i find one)

I'm interested in this too, does the JFCU accept people from NY, does the NSA route still work? the only posts I can really find are from 2008.  

Message 26 of 27
Juan123
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone belong to MCU - Municipal Credit Union ?

If you want to join a credit union without any requirements look into USAlliance FCU. Go down to 31st street between 8th & 9th. (DO NOT APPLY ONLINE) That locaiton has an underserved charter where it allows anyone who lives or does business in NYC to join.

I work there so i expect to see some of you soon! Man Happy

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.