cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone burn USAA, and ever get a cc again?

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Anyone burn USAA, and ever get a cc again?

Just curious of anyone ever burned USAA with a cc, and got back with them whether CO, BK, or whatever. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
blu387
Established Member

Re: Anyone burn USAA, and ever get a cc again?

@pizza1 wrote:

Just curious of anyone ever burned USAA with a cc, and got back with them whether CO, BK, or whatever. 

I did about 6.5 years ago. 

I had a USAA Mastercard opened in 2005 I think, kept getting auto CLI after auto CLI. Being young, I took advantage and bought a lot of crap that I dont' have anymore or have anything to show for it. Fell behind in my payments, eventually missed two paymenst and they closed the account and started internal collection atttempts. Since I just fell a little behind they obviously closed the account but when they did that they stopped charging interest and proposed that I just paid off what was currently owed on the account. I guess since the account had been closed I could have tried to negotiate, but obviously I owed the money so over the next twelve months I paid off the $4500 balance. The account shows up as "closed by lender" but only with 1-30 day late and 1-60 day late. I also had two other collections at the time which show up as charge offs with numberous 30/60/90/and maybe even 1-120 day late payments.  

About a year ago I applied and was approved for a $500 USAA Visa with sub 700 Fico score. I think I was at about ~650. About six months later I asked for a credit limit increase and was bumped up to $1000, and a few months later I called in asking for an APR decrease... they said no so I asked to raise the credit limit, they asked why (to have credit available in case of emergency) asked if I had money in savings (which I had about $3k) asked about rent payments (no responsible for) and put it through, kicked me up to $2500 where it sits today. 

They were really the first step for me in rebuilding my credit after I had obtained a HSBC Orchard Bank rebuilder. I now have a $12k Amex, $5k NFCU, $800 Capital One, with a pending Capital One Quicksilver (which is supposedly going through final processing for a $10k limit). My Fico score is now 705/719/705 EQ/TU/EX. I've also had a relationshipo with USAA for 10 years, checking/savings/insurance. 

Not sure if this long post helps you out any, but yes, USAA gave me a second chance before those CO fell off my credit reports.

Message 2 of 5
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

Unless you pay them back , they will not give you another credit card .

Message 3 of 5
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@blu387 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

I did about 6.5 years ago. 

I had a USAA Mastercard opened in 2005 I think, kept getting auto CLI after auto CLI. Being young, I took advantage and bought a lot of crap that I dont' have anymore or have anything to show for it. Fell behind in my payments, eventually missed two paymenst and they closed the account and started internal collection atttempts. Since I just fell a little behind they obviously closed the account but when they did that they stopped charging interest and proposed that I just paid off what was currently owed on the account. I guess since the account had been closed I could have tried to negotiate, but obviously I owed the money so over the next twelve months I paid off the $4500 balance. The account shows up as "closed by lender" but only with 1-30 day late and 1-60 day late. I also had two other collections at the time which show up as charge offs with numberous 30/60/90/and maybe even 1-120 day late payments.  

About a year ago I applied and was approved for a $500 USAA Visa with sub 700 Fico score. I think I was at about ~650. About six months later I asked for a credit limit increase and was bumped up to $1000, and a few months later I called in asking for an APR decrease... they said no so I asked to raise the credit limit, they asked why (to have credit available in case of emergency) asked if I had money in savings (which I had about $3k) asked about rent payments (no responsible for) and put it through, kicked me up to $2500 where it sits today. 

They were really the first step for me in rebuilding my credit after I had obtained a HSBC Orchard Bank rebuilder. I now have a $12k Amex, $5k NFCU, $800 Capital One, with a pending Capital One Quicksilver (which is supposedly going through final processing for a $10k limit). My Fico score is now 705/719/705 EQ/TU/EX. I've also had a relationshipo with USAA for 10 years, checking/savings/insurance. 

Not sure if this long post helps you out any, but yes, USAA gave me a second chance before those CO fell off my credit reports.

All I can say is: wow! usaa is the best!

Message 4 of 5
TatorTodd
Regular Contributor

As long as you pay them back, absolutely. My wife graduated from airforce academy and they threw her a 20k limit card. And 45k auto loan, this was all 10 years ago before we met. She defaulted on credit card and auto loan. I met her as it was all going south, usaa worked with her on car, she knew she couldn't really make payments on it, so they had us drive it personally to a repo location (no late payments) and sign off on paperwork saying we voluntarily surrendered WRX. They auctioned it off and we owed them the remaining balance of $1600 to pay off loan. It was amazing how well they worked with us. Never placed late payments on report since she was communicating with them. Credit card was at 13k and she went through debt consolidation via military financing help. Also no lates even though she should have been 3 times. They have since then given us a 25k and 20k limit credit cards, personal loan and auto loan. 

NCFU Flagship(80k) DC Elite (40k) Cash Sapphire Preferred(38k) DC Premier (30k) NFCU CashRewards (25k) USAA Amex (22k) USAA MasterCard (16k) Barclay Arrival+ Elite (15k) Nordstrom (15k) BofA Rewards (12.5k) 4 Amices (50k)

As of 10/13/14
Experian: 787 - EquiFax: 798 - TU: 789
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.