cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else have a rewards hoarding problem like me?

tag
wachme
Contributor

Re: Anyone else have a rewards hoarding problem like me?

@Anonymous wrote:

My first reward card is in the mail so I don't know yet. But at least you have enough that you can do someting kinda big with your rewards, so you can really tell that you are gaining something rather than cashing in a few bucks a month.

Which did you choose as your first?
Message 11 of 90
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I am more of a squirrel than hoarder.  I like having different stashes all over the place.  But I do redeem the rewards at least once a year for CB cards.

Personally if I saw my QS had a $718 worth of CB rewards, I would be banging my head against a wall.  Any 2% CB card would give an extra 33% CB.  It could be worth $955!   Or on my TR with PR card it would be worth $1,256 against travel expenses.  If I had 6k a month of miscellaneous expenses, I wouldn't be using a 1.5% CB card.  lol

Message 12 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat. Hoarded all my points on my SM the first year...paid for my entire christmas, presents, travel and all! I like seeing big numbers Smiley Very Happy

-Sin

Message 13 of 90
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I like to keep my rewards till December, it helps me pay for gifts hahaha
Message 14 of 90
datrucking210
Established Contributor

I always cash out asap. Were not guarantee a tomorrow so might as well enjoy my 50 cents or dollar today :lol OP if this method works for you more power to you  :toast

Mid 500's Spring 2014 As of 06/07/16 EQ-700^ TU-738^ EX-697v In the Garden 5/28/16! Goals 750 across the board end of 2016
AU:
Message 15 of 90
core
Valued Contributor

@datrucking210 wrote:

Were not guarantee a tomorrow so might as well enjoy my 50 cents or dollar today :lol

Yeah, if you die before redeeming, your estate will receive a bill for your final charges, but not a refund check for the points. Whoever is handling such matters may not know anything about CC points and likely has more important things to do either way.  Also points have become involved during divorce proceedings.

Those are my 2 happy thoughts for the day.

Message 16 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, not a hoarder here. I earn them, I redeem them. No sense letting someone else have my money.
Message 17 of 90
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

I'm a semi-hoarder AND Squirrel...LOLSmiley LOL  I have multiple cash stashes around my house and purse (the squirrel in me) and I do hoard my CB to a degree..I've never accumulated $700+ in CB as of yet ('m still working my way into paying for EVERYTHING with a card and then paying it with my paycheck...I want to be sure I get the timing down right) but I'm like another poster who said they use it to cover a purchase of concert tickets, hotel, etc as a real "gift" to myself Smiley Happy

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 18 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

deleted

Message 19 of 90
northface28
Established Contributor

I would not be able to sleep knowing I had over $700 tied up in rewards with an issuer. I have an online savings account with Capital One and ALL my rewards are funneled to that account which is aptly named "credit card rewards" so all rewards, sign up bonuses, and saved money via points go here. By saved money I use the Sallie Mae card and if I redeem for 2500 points which is $25, i add that $25 to the credit cards reward account. At the end of every month, I then transfer the money to my Schwab brokerage account and then invest it into SWPPX (S&P index fund). I do not see the point in the letting the money just there idly, i like my money to work for me. 

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 20 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.