cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get Visa Signature or Mastercard World Elite?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone get Visa Signature or Mastercard World Elite?

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has these and if they are truelly better then just visa/mc platinum cards. utilized any extra benefits? received more prestige? etc thanks.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Anyone get Visa Signature or Mastercard World Elite?

There are several really good, thorough threads on this. Have you done a search on the forums? Some are squirelly and don't report properly, making you look maxed out.

Is there a particular issuing bank that you are looking at? The benefits tend to be determined more by the bank than by the title of the card.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 15
Dawn
Established Contributor

D_Boone wrote:
I'm interested in knowing if anyone has these and if they are truelly better then just visa/mc platinum cards. utilized any extra benefits? received more prestige? etc thanks.

I have a Chase World MC (I don't know what "elite" refers to.)  I think all "Signature" and "World" cards are "no pre-set spending limit" cards. 

The idea of being able to go over the "limit" without being charged an over limit fee is appealing as long as you understand and are able to pay the excess prior to the next due date.  The "over limit" portion of the balance does not revolve.

However, the aggravation that exists because the CCCs and CRAs can't seem to come together as to how these cards should be reported, makes the appeal of the no pre-set spending limit worthless to me.  Had I known when I applied and activated this card, what was going on with the no pre-set spending limit issue, I would have specifically asked for platinum instead.

The guide to benefits I received (regarding the travel, insurance and retail protection services) is specific to the "World" card, so I don't know how it compares to a "platinum" card.  However, I am not completely familiar with all of these extra services as I have never used any of them.  Someone else may come along who can evaluate this aspect of what is provided with these cards.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

heres the link to mastercard world elite http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/aboutourcards/credit/world_elite/index.html I've heard of the aggravation associated with incorrect reporting but it can't be any worse than crap one. I'd like superior travel benefits. I have AMEX and was looking for something more then what they offer.
Message 4 of 15
Dawn
Established Contributor

Now I see!  Smiley Wink

I guess the more "worldly" among us will have to chime in.  The travel stuff is out of my league ... being the home-body that I am.  Smiley Happy

This page shows summaries of the various levels of service between cards ... maybe it will help.

Message Edited by denbar2003 on 02-07-2008 09:44 PM
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the link to the VISA signature website.  I haven't been able to use anything on it yet.  The one hotel I was hoping to use was dropped off of the list at the end of the year.

And I'm still crossing my fingers on the reporting issue.  So far it looks good on the True Credit site, I'll check FICO's next month.  Bottom line, if the benefits outweigh the cost of the reporting issue, it may be a good deal.  Worst case, you play the game, PIF before the statement drops, and don't count the CL towards your total.  Most people on this site aren't in a position to let a large CL go, but if you can, and you can use the benefits, great.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

thought I was gonna get the world elite with saks but just found out its the platinum. I'm hoping that after 6months of use I can be upgraded.Still holding my breath with bracklays juniper on the visa signature. I got approval but card isn't here yet.
Message 7 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The visa signature comes with a conceriege service that can get you into places to eat, get tickets that are sold out, etc.  of course they are premium tickets that cost more!.
you can charge over your limit!
I don't know that it makes that much a difference if you are a cardholder with a large limit to begin with.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

after doing some research you only get visa signature or mastercard world cards if you qualify for credit limits of 5 grand or more. I'm gonna try and use the saks platinum MC and some of my platinum visas for 6 months or more and then ask to be upgraded. My high limit is 3k
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do happen to carry both a World MC and a Visa Signature, but that's likely as far as most people can get. The World Elite Mastercard is in a realm of its own.

The World Elite Mastercard and Visa Signature are presently the top of the prestige tier for MC and Visa, respectively, developed to compete with Amex platinum. Countering that, Amex shuffled out the Centurion (Black) card, with its nightmare annual fee. The response by MC has thus been to partner with only a couple of the most affluent stores (for now, at least) and cough up the World Elite Mastercard (another black card). Visa has not yet released its own black prestige card, considering Signature to be the workhorse for now, but they may still do so in time. Discover does not seem to have opted for joining this competition yet, but that may be because they realize Visa and MC have a world market while Discover is generally limited to the US (as is Amex).

However, these 'prestige' cards, which all offer open accounts (i.e., no preset spending limit), are now being offered to larger percentages of the population, which to me indicates the following move: Platinum by name is joining the Classic/Gold tier, World and Signature for those who have excellent (FICO 720+), established (10+ years) credit (the "new" platinum), and World Elite and Centurion for those who have six to seven figure incomes in addition to excellent, established credit.

Another thing about these cards is that their benefits vary by issuing bank. Although they seem to all share stuff like the no preset spending limit and travel insurances, the more elite services (such as Concierge (Mastercard) and Dining (Visa)) generally are not tagged onto cards issued for those making less than ~$125,000 per annum. You can check your particular card's status for these at http://www.priceless.com (MC) and http://www.visa.com (Visa).

Most travel-based World and Signature cards carry an annual fee, though their lower platinum equivalent is usually annual fee free. If you're looking to focus on a specific airline, these are good. However, some general rewards-based World and Signature cards ARE annual fee free, some examples being the Chase Freedom World Mastercard (whether points or cash back, for points, 3 points / $1 in top 3 categories, maxing at 1200 points) and the Capital One NoHassle Miles Visa Signature (1.25 points per $1).

Interest rates do not appear to be tied to any particular tier at all. That's strictly between you, the bank, and your credit report.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.