cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get Visa Signature or Mastercard World Elite?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone get Visa Signature or Mastercard World Elite?

Interesting analysis, jack. Thank you.

The cards are incredible for those who need them. Unfortunately, not for me.
Message 11 of 15
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I thought I was getting HHonors Signature Card, instead they sent me HHonors Gold Card. I have closed it and combined the CL with my Diamond MC.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend to agree with the former.  I have both the Amex Platinum and Amex Platinum Business cards as well as Visa Signature and World Elite Master Card. 

Personally, I rarely ever use the Visa or Mastercard as all my purchases are on Amex Platinum.  I don't think that I would switch to Centurion because the $2500 fee is not worth it.  Also, benefit-wise, pound-for-pound, Platinum and Centurion offer very similar if not same services. 

If I want a companion ticket, has to be business or first class and whether you are using Black Amex plastic or Silver, you are still paying an exorbitant amount for a ticket, anywhere from 8-12 grand!  So, not much difference there!

Prestige with Black Cards?  Only if you like the feeling that you will be treated as a snob since you will be the only one in the group of peers most likely that has this card (i.e. Centurion!)

Otherwise, not much of a 'wow, you have a Black Card, so what?' You are not going to get much more respect out of people just because you have Black Plastic to your name.

If it was up to me, I would only use one card but since not everyone takes Amex, I keep both brands around!  Visa and MasterCard do have cards that are 'by invitation only' cards that are not offerred to just anyone - since you cannot apply for these just like the Centurion, you have to be invited!

This basically means that you are spending such ridiculous amount of money that the bank figures you have deep pockets and with that, they would be more than happy to offer you a Black Little Card of their own called 'Visa Infinite'  - you won't find much information about it on the web only that it is more prevalent outside of US in places such as Dubai where money seems to flow from everywhere and Bank of Dubai would be more than happy to offer you one as long as you meet their small insignificant criteria!

To each his own but service-wise, Amex Platinum seems to have the best service so far for me! 
Message 13 of 15
Jesedmotherof5
Established Contributor

Im so confused about all this cards I cant even remember the name of the one i just applied to and got approved for....Oh well I'll find out in 7-10 days...
6/9/08 FICO TU 697 EX698 EQ 618uti 6% (once new accounts hit) BIZ- DUNS 80, EX 35
GOAL 2008- 700s+ new car
2010 BE a first time buyer
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update on Visa Infinite, LOLOSH. It would seem that the new tier of cards has now been completely defined as far as network association goes, though you're, of course, right about the whole 'prestige' idea being nonsensical. Personally, I'd prefer to stick to annual fee free MC and Visa cards even if offered the highest tier. Although Amex is slowly getting accepted more internationally, it'll be a while before I take one of their Platinum offers - MC and Visa really just seem to hold the sway for now.

Just a short re-iteration of tiers for those who want to know (correct or update as needed):

Secured - Deposited amount = Credit limit, used for establishing or restoring credit history

Classic / Standard - Often used for first-time credit history, such as students

Gold - Mid-range card for credit histories on their way, some basic benefits, disappearance of annual fees

Platinum (non-Amex) - Mainstream card for good-to-excellent histories, full basic benefits, could be lower purchase APRs

Platinum Plus - Bank of America only, some slightly different benefits than Platinum

World / Signature - Excellent, established histories, accounts go from Revolving to Open (aka no preset spending limit or half credit card / half charge card), addition of many "higher" level benefits, possible annual fee again

Platinum (Amex) - The golden oldie status symbol of 1984 still hard at work. Nasty annual fee and relatively difficult to get. Full-up charge card.

World Elite / Infinite / Centurion - The "Black" cards, every benefit under the sun (e.g., concierge, dining)
    World Elite (Mastercard) - No annual fee most likely, invite helpful but not required. Easiest Black to get. Open account-type card. Limited to HSBC (Saks 5th Ave rewards) and Sotheby's as of May 2008.
    Infinite (Visa) - Not available in North America as of May 2008 (so no annual fee info), but a search of other countries has this black card rivalling the Centurion. Invitation only.
    Centurion (Amex) - Most expensive and hardest to obtain card on the planet in terms of credit history,  income, and assets. Full-up charge card, disgusting annual fee. Invitation only.

Message Edited by jackelope on 05-14-2008 10:40 PM

Message Edited by jackelope on 07-14-2008 09:17 PM
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.