Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get approved for a CSP with negatives on report

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone get approved for a CSP with negatives on report

Without a $5k credit line on your file I don't see a CSP happening. Shoot for the Freedom and then work on growing your current cards until one gets over $5k, then shoot for the CSP

Message 11 of 24
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

ok, will do.  i didn't want to apply for the freedom because i was afraid if I was to get a high initial limit it would take away my chances of getting the CSP

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 12 of 24
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

ok, will do.  i didn't want to apply for the freedom because i was afraid if I was to get a high initial limit it would take away my chances of getting the CSP

I will say YMMV with Chase.  When i opened my Freedom they gave me $2,500 because my highest CL at the time was $1,900.  My wife had the same and they gave her $10,500.

Message 13 of 24
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Yeah I hear they're real hit or miss, I think i will wait another 6 months until my report is completly clean and then apply for the CSP

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 14 of 24
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I'm a little wary to comment, because someone always gets upset, but: I got approved on recon for the CSP a few weeks ago. 3 charge offs from 2006, 1 collection from 2010 for one of the 2006 chargeoffs, 1 student loan showing paid after default (default in 2006, paid in 2010). 

The recon was short, no questions asked. I had a SW RR card with 5k limit for the past year, so assume that is why recon was so easy. Got the SW card also on recon, much more involved process, had to explain the negatives. That being said, at time of SW approval, I had two secured cards, 1k and 450, no other revolving credit. So the 5k limit history is not REQUIRED, though it no doubt helps.

So if you really want the CSP, I think you are better off getting another chase card, regardless of limit, and using it responsibly for a year. Freedom is easiest, but their cobranded cards also have lower UR than CSP, so maybe the hyatt, southwest or marriott if any of those meet your needs. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 15 of 24
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I went ahead and applied for the CSP this afternoon, I'm right at a year out for a mortgage and wanted to get my last app out of the way...  i got the we need more time message and called the backdoor number immediatly.  after a couple of questions and about 10 minutes on hold the nice lady from chase came back on the phone and said that she was going to recommend me for approval...

has anyone else been "recommended" for approval and then been declined?

Message 16 of 24
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I'll be approved in June for my CSP with a CL on at least 10k. I'll still have baddies on my report.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 24
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I think when they say they are recommending you for approval, you are pretty much approved.

I know the OP already applied, but for anyone else wondering if you can be approved for CSP with negatives, I was approved with lots of lates still on my report.  I have lates on 7 accounts, a few of which go up to 150 days late.  They are all a little over 4 years old at this point.  One was a Chase account that went to 150 days late and was closed, but not charged off.  I paid them back in full.

Before I had completely finished paying off the closed account, I applied for Freedom in late 2010, and was denied.  I had been current on the closed Chase account for two years at that point. They cited my prior negative history with them in the denial, and when I attempted to recon, they told me to try again once I had paid off the closed account. 

I can't remember exactly now, but I think it was a few months later that I finished paying them back in full, so early 2011.  Last year, I apped for Freedom again and was instantly approved with a $5500 initial CL.  Then recently, I applied for CSP and was instantly approved with an initial CL of $29.7K. 

So Chase was willing to do business with me again depsite negatives on other accounts and despite the closed Chase account once I paid them back.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

When I apped, I had a few lates from 08 (60 or 120) on my BofA because I had to stay abroad longer than expected, and just lost track.

Was instantly approved and was never asked about the late, though it did appear on my approval letter as "serious deliquency" and "accounts not paid as agreed."

Message 19 of 24
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

I think when they say they are recommending you for approval, you are pretty much approved.

I know the OP already applied, but for anyone else wondering if you can be approved for CSP with negatives, I was approved with lots of lates still on my report.  I have lates on 7 accounts, a few of which go up to 150 days late.  They are all a little over 4 years old at this point.  One was a Chase account that went to 150 days late and was closed, but not charged off.  I paid them back in full.

Before I had completely finished paying off the closed account, I applied for Freedom in late 2010, and was denied.  I had been current on the closed Chase account for two years at that point. They cited my prior negative history with them in the denial, and when I attempted to recon, they told me to try again once I had paid off the closed account. 

I can't remember exactly now, but I think it was a few months later that I finished paying them back in full, so early 2011.  Last year, I apped for Freedom again and was instantly approved with a $5500 initial CL.  Then recently, I applied for CSP and was instantly approved with an initial CL of $29.7K. 

So Chase was willing to do business with me again depsite negatives on other accounts and despite the closed Chase account once I paid them back.

I've got my fingers crossed you're right about the approval!!!!!!

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.