cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get approved for a Unsecured credit card ...?

tag
Erika3o3
Regular Contributor

Anyone get approved for a Unsecured credit card ...?

Have any of you got approved for an unsecured credit card with Bad credit. My FICO (EQ) is at 560 right now. I am disputing a few things on my credit report. i Have 27 collection accounts 2 of which are paid and 90% of them are medical. I'm working on getting these things paid.

Fico 8 Scores as of 5/29/21
Equifax: 606 / Transunion 641 / Experian 647

Captial One Platinum: $500
Capital One QuickSilver: $2000
Discover IT: $1,500
Kohls: $300
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone get approved for a Unsecured credit card ...?

Your best bet is to have the collection records taken off first. Write letters of goodwills to the collection agencies requesting they take it off for the accounts that have been paid in full.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 18
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Erika3o3 wrote:

Have any of you got approved for an unsecured credit card with Bad credit. My FICO (EQ) is at 560 right now. I am disputing a few things on my credit report. i Have 27 collection accounts 2 of which are paid and 90% of them are medical. I'm working on getting these things paid.

POSSIBLY Cap1, but more likely only the bottom-feeders like Credit One and First Premier. It is also possible that a local credit union might approve you, but the limit will likely be very small.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 3 of 18
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

From what I have seen, most people seem to have luck with capital one.  A lot of others app for First Premier and Credit One but those banks are often compared to loan sharks.  

Message 4 of 18
Erika3o3
Regular Contributor

I've had Cap 1 before and closed there card (it has been reported in good standing and paid as agreed) but they closed the account. I lost the card and didnt use it for a LONG time (due ot moving) i applied recently for there classic platinum and got denied.

Message 5 of 18
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Erika3o3 wrote:

I've had Cap 1 before and closed there card (it has been reported in good standing and paid as agreed) but they closed the account. I lost the card and didnt use it for a LONG time (due ot moving) i applied recently for there classic platinum and got denied.

Is there a local credit union you could speak to?

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 18
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

@Erika3o3 wrote:

27 collection accounts is quite a bit. Even though they are mostly medical, they are still viewed as bad accounts from creditors, maybe not as bad as a credit card debt, but bad none the less.

Your best bet would be to work hard to get most or all of them either paid, or possibly PFD (Pay for deletion) so they are removed once paid. I think that would be your best place to start before applying for anything that will do a HP on your report. A bunch of wasted inquiries would only do more damage to your score IMO.

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 7 of 18
Erika3o3
Regular Contributor

tried that, and they just denied me and never said why (but im sure due to my credit score and report) but they never specifically told me why.

Message 8 of 18
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Erika3o3 wrote:

tried that, and they just denied me and never said why (but im sure due to my credit score and report) but they never specifically told me why.

Honestly, you probably need to cool on the apps for a while and work on those baddies. If Cap1 and CUs aren't approving even low limit cards, your only refuge is to apply in some unsavory places. Once you get that score above 600, your options open up and you can work from there.

Message 9 of 18
Erika3o3
Regular Contributor

All Right thanks for the replies everyone!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.