cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone had success in re-applying for Best Buy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone had success in re-applying for Best Buy?

@Creditaddict wrote:

you should have no issues getting the best buy mastercard, just make sure you use the pre-approval link to check before applying.  Store card I don't think is all that BK friendly for whatever reason. BK is not an issue for the mastercard, believe me I have 2 bk's and burned HSBC in both BK's and got both a sears MC by HSBC and Best Buy MC

Is the pre-approval link for this still open to the general public? I thought I just read it was dead and only employees could use it. Did they reinstate it?

Message 11 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

well just did search above and clicked on the link that I use to use and it wasn't valid.... so maybe you are right but why would they have taken it away... they have been handing cards out like candy

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol. Yep, probably so.

Message 13 of 21
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

well just did search above and clicked on the link that I use to use and it wasn't valid.... so maybe you are right but why would they have taken it away... they have been handing cards out like candy

Everyone is cutting back expenses. Pre-qualifying with a soft pull still cost them money with the CRA's. Also the cost of keeping the software updated and working properly. Etc.... 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 14 of 21
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

LOL... YEAH.... LOL... OH MY... life takes unexpected turns. November 1 DENIED..... November 9 APPROVED....

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 15 of 21
kysin2014
Contributor

Did you apply in the store or online for the Best Buy credit card?  I applied online a year ago and was approved with a recent Ch. 13 BK Discharge.

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png" height="50" border="0" >Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 769
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 21
kysin2014
Contributor

If you really want the Best Buy store card, try applying first at the store.  If declined, wait at least 31 days to re-apply, but this time apply online to see if you are approved.  If you apply in the store, Best Buy will try to get you approved with Chase.  If you apply online, Best Buy will use HSBC for their store brand card.  BestBuy HSBC store card and Rewards Gold MC are both obtainable with a BK since both my wife and I were approved for them.

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png" height="50" border="0" >Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 769
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 21
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

I didn't apply through the pre-selector when it was active b/c it was spitting out $100 cards. To me, that's worse than getting denied b/c your score will get dinged for the new account w/ a  next to nothing CL. 

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 18 of 21
JMN
Frequent Contributor

@pazuzu wrote:

I think the problem is with Best Buy's credit standards, not HSBC.

I have an HSBC Neiman Marcus card with a healthy  CL. 

Not exactly. Neiman Marcus costs less to operate for HSBC than it does the Best Buy card, and the NM card makes more money.

The 0% financing is the reason why the Best Buy Store Card is harder to get. They make a lot less on it, so they are selective over who gets it, for obvious reasons.

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jinswaz wrote:

If you really want the Best Buy store card, try applying first at the store.  If declined, wait at least 31 days to re-apply, but this time apply online to see if you are approved.  If you apply in the store, Best Buy will try to get you approved with Chase.  If you apply online, Best Buy will use HSBC for their store brand card.  BestBuy HSBC store card and Rewards Gold MC are both obtainable with a BK since both my wife and I were approved for them.

I applied in store 11/27/10 and was denied. The only screen displayed that the credit issuer was HSBC so I do not believe they offer cards with Chase. I belive HTSU reported on another post that the Chase branded cards are from customers who previously had Circuit City.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.