cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have any luck with HSBC removing annual fees?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have any luck with HSBC removing annual fees?

I have an HSBC Gold MasterCard with an annual fee attached.  I've had the card for 11 months now and each month I have either paid the balance out completely or down to 10%.  They have given me 2 credit limit increases since I've had the card.  I have called twice trying to get them to work with me with the annual fee.  (I asked for the manager today & still no luck - she asked me to apply for another card). She stated that they cannot lower, waive (for 1 year) or remove the annual fee because of the type of card. 

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with them in similar situations. 

I can't cancel the card now (I am about to close on property). She stated that I can cancel the card up to 30 days after the annual fee has been billed and receive a credit for the fee.  My plan is to obtain a new card in its place and cancel this card because they won't budge.

Thanks in advance for reading & for any suggestions or comments.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone have any luck with HSBC removing annual fees?

wow u got 2 cli in 11 months. Did u call them for cli and how much increase?

thanks
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

They only increased $400.00 each time.  I called and requested the first increase and they initially gave me problems stating that there was no significant history with the card (I had no other credit cards on my CR at the time). Someone called me back the next day and asked about the service and I complained - they did a manual review of my CR (without my asking) and gave the first increase.  And, the last increase happened this week.  I called last week asking them to remove the annual fee and lower the interest rate though - (I'm not sure if that call had anything to do with it - they offered me an increase while I was on the phone complaining & I said that I wasn't interested in any increase).  So, when I signed on to pay the bill today... there was the $400.00 increase.  So, I picked up the phone again and asked about removing the annual fee - & you already know I've had  no luck with that.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. They dont remove the annual fee, alot of people have tried that. I would say keep the card till you get the prime card with no annual fee and then cancel it.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I do have WAMU with no annual fee and a pretty decent APR.  But, I wanted to at least have two cards available. 
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your fico scores?
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by MsRN2000 on 08-07-2007 07:49 PM
Message 7 of 17
bl00dymary
Valued Member

If they won't remove the fee because of the type of card it is, will they upgrade you to a card that does not have a fee? 
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

(I think she told me I'd have to apply for another card b/c the Gold Card doesn't allow any changes)  But, that's a good question.  I will phone them and ask this evening.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do mind my asking, which HSBC card to you have?  I have had an HSBC card since 2003 and my cl is only $1250.  I had to pay onetime $50 for a $200 cli.  I started with a $500 cli, have always paid on time, never late, when I asked for the increase, my dog was dying and needed to take him to ghe vet.  It's sad that I had to depend on the one and only cc I had was HSBC.  Since the last week my credit and scores have improved alot.  HSBC has not reported any payment since June2007 for me.  I just did a BT on them.  The interest rates were bad.  I will not close the account because of the number of years I've had the blank........ card, but I do not intend to ever use this card again.  Thanks for letting me sound off on HSBC.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.