cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have both: Amazon store card & Chase Amazon Visa?

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Anyone have both: Amazon store card & Chase Amazon Visa?

Like the title states?

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Moleman_H
Established Member

Re: Anyone have both: Amazon store card & Chase Amazon Visa?

Well, the store card gets you 6/12/24 month financing for purchases while the visa gives you 3 reward points per dollar spent at amazon (and 2 or 1 points elsewhere).

Oftentimes those who are in need of financing for consumer products outside of big-ticket long-term purchases like cars, houses, and home renovation don't really have enough volume outside of these fincanced items for the 3 reward points to make much of a difference. I'd go through my order report of the year before and use that to decide if it would be worth it.

That said, no, I don't have these cards. I don't need the financing and I use the Citi Forward for rewards at amazon.

Message 2 of 13
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I have the Amazon store card. Didnt care for the reward points with Chase. The financing options with the store card comes in handy. Plus GE is great with CLI`s. Went from $1700 to $4000 in a year.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 13
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I have both, but rarely use the store card anymore. The only time it beats the Visa, is if you finance more than six months. Otherwise, keeping the money in a savings account will earn 3% for six months which is the same as the Visa. Twelve months will earn 6% though, so then, the store card is better.

Message 4 of 13
SoCalBound
Contributor

Got the amazon chase card as the third card for my app spree.   2 months later decided having a store cardghat has grown will save me quite a bit 6-9 months from now to make some 12 months financed purchases before a few states start charging sales tax.   So I took the hit there.  I also got the citi forward and use that over the chase amazon.  0%. And 5 Ty points vs 3 points and 18%.   I get reimbursed for somespur chases and it can take up to 8 to 9 weeks so .

Sorry for any typing errors, iPad autocorrect is kicking my butt with these forums and making more errors.

Zync NPSL, BCP ($2000), Chase United ($2000) Chase Amazon ($1500), Chase Freedom ($3000), Discover More ($2000), Paypal Extras ($5000), Citi Forward ($2000), Orchard $2000, Amazon ($5000)
Pre-App Scores: TU98 779, TU04 797, EQ 682, EX 788 (Amex) 8/12
Message 5 of 13
Moleman_H
Established Member

For the financing to be better than the 3% instant reward (if you already have the money and can put it in a savings account), that requires a savings account with more than 3% interest for the financing period. For the half year financing period, that would be 6.1% per year and for the 12 month financing it would be 3%.For the 24 months items, it's still 1.48%.

Hardly any bank is giving more than 1% per year for any sizable amount of money in savings accounts right now: https://www.google.com/advisor/ussavings?kw=12+month+cd&q=12+month+CD&s=1&gclid=CLG6oIaFtrMCFS6CQgod...

A 12 months CD tops out at 1.1% right now: https://www.google.com/advisor/uscd?bsp=1&s=1&kw=12%20month%20cd&group=GenericRadio&gclid=CLG6oIaFtr...

Do you seriously have a savings account that gives substantially more than 1% for anything but a toy amount of money?

Message 6 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I have both; rarely use the store card. I apped for the store card after getting the 7-10 day message on the visa app.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 13
score_building
Senior Contributor

have had both for several years

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah.... 3-6% yield on any savings in not happening now.

Amex high yield personal savings is .90%.

Otoh, you could make some investments that pay high dividends and get 3-16% depending.
I have the store card! I love it. I buy my books with the zero percent, and save the cash while getting a little interesr, then sell my books back and pif. The Visa doesnt seem appealing to me. My limit w the store card haa gone from $1200 - $3000 in about nine months!:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 13
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Just have the GE card.  No need or desire to have the Chase version.  I'm keeping my exposure to each lender to the minimum.  I enjoy the 6/12/24 months 0% financing and the 4mos SP CLIs Smiley Happy

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.