cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have experience with SunTrust credit cards?

tag
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Anyone have experience with SunTrust credit cards?

Just got a pre-approval for their rewards card. It seems to be decent....it's a points system, with one point per dollar spent, with double points on dining and travel. No cap on points, no expiration, and no AF. 0% intro APR, then 19% after. I have a checking account with them via my university so I'm assuming that's why I got the pre-approval. 

Does anyone know who they pull (I'm in FL)? Are they conservative? Inquiry sensitive? 

If anyone could give advice I'd appreciate it!

Photobucket
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with SunTrust credit cards?

They seem to be ultra conservative, more than even US Bank.  I got a flat out denial with a score in the 720s.  I bank with them and have one of their top tier checking accounts, yet I can't seem to even get a pre approval offer from them.  I would recommend low balances and only a balance on a card or two. 

As a side note, their rewards are just so so in my opinion.  But, to each his own.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 2 of 8
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

They seem to be ultra conservative, more than even US Bank.  I got a flat out denial with a score in the 720s.  I bank with them and have one of their top tier checking accounts, yet I can't seem to even get a pre approval offer from them.  I would recommend low balances and only a balance on a card or two. 

As a side note, their rewards are just so so in my opinion.  But, to each his own.

Oh, well maybe I won't give it a shot. My scores are low 700s, no baddies but a recently opened account and one card with probably 60% util. Overall util around 7%.

Do you know which CRA they pulled?

Photobucket
Message 3 of 8
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

I have to see if I can find that.  I applied quite a while back.  You'd be better off with another card, though.

Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Message 4 of 8
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

I have to see if I can find that.  I applied quite a while back.  You'd be better off with another card, though.

Ah, I see. Well thank you for the heads up! I never really hear about SunTrust on here and they seem to be kinda exclusive because you can't even apply online without a pre-approval. I don't even think I've ever seen anyone with a SunTrust credit card, and I work in retail. 

Photobucket
Message 5 of 8
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

I don't see them either.  They do have good programs for companies though.  I have some nice perks with their checking account.

Message 6 of 8
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I have been banking with Suntrust since the mid 90's. A family member had a FIA credit card that was changed to Suntrust about 4 years ago. I have had a Suntrust rewards credit card since 2006, but I forget who they pull. I am happy with the service and card. But it's nothing special.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 7 of 8
nickn86
Contributor

Why when you have all those cards would you waste an inquiry on a card with (apparently) no sign-up bonus and a below average rewards structure?

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.