Established Contributor
FloridaState12

Anyone have experience with SunTrust credit cards?

Just got a pre-approval for their rewards card. It seems to be decent....it's a points system, with one point per dollar spent, with double points on dining and travel. No cap on points, no expiration, and no AF. 0% intro APR, then 19% after. I have a checking account with them via my university so I'm assuming that's why I got the pre-approval. 

Does anyone know who they pull (I'm in FL)? Are they conservative? Inquiry sensitive? 

If anyone could give advice I'd appreciate it!

Photobucket
Established Contributor
FutureBillionaire

Re: Anyone have experience with SunTrust credit cards?

They seem to be ultra conservative, more than even US Bank.  I got a flat out denial with a score in the 720s.  I bank with them and have one of their top tier checking accounts, yet I can't seem to even get a pre approval offer from them.  I would recommend low balances and only a balance on a card or two. 

As a side note, their rewards are just so so in my opinion.  But, to each his own.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Established Contributor
FloridaState12

FutureBillionaire wrote:

They seem to be ultra conservative, more than even US Bank.  I got a flat out denial with a score in the 720s.  I bank with them and have one of their top tier checking accounts, yet I can't seem to even get a pre approval offer from them.  I would recommend low balances and only a balance on a card or two. 

As a side note, their rewards are just so so in my opinion.  But, to each his own.

Oh, well maybe I won't give it a shot. My scores are low 700s, no baddies but a recently opened account and one card with probably 60% util. Overall util around 7%.

Do you know which CRA they pulled?

Photobucket
Established Contributor
FutureBillionaire

I have to see if I can find that.  I applied quite a while back.  You'd be better off with another card, though.

Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Established Contributor
FloridaState12

FutureBillionaire wrote:

I have to see if I can find that.  I applied quite a while back.  You'd be better off with another card, though.

Ah, I see. Well thank you for the heads up! I never really hear about SunTrust on here and they seem to be kinda exclusive because you can't even apply online without a pre-approval. I don't even think I've ever seen anyone with a SunTrust credit card, and I work in retail. 

Photobucket
Established Contributor
FutureBillionaire

I don't see them either.  They do have good programs for companies though.  I have some nice perks with their checking account.

Valued Contributor
Epcot

I have been banking with Suntrust since the mid 90's. A family member had a FIA credit card that was changed to Suntrust about 4 years ago. I have had a Suntrust rewards credit card since 2006, but I forget who they pull. I am happy with the service and card. But it's nothing special.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 809 EX 774 TU 805
App free since 4/11/13
Contributor
nickn86

Why when you have all those cards would you waste an inquiry on a card with (apparently) no sign-up bonus and a below average rewards structure?

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}