cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone having to replace their chip cards often because of chip issues?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone having to replace their chip cards often because of chip issues?

My chip cards all seem to work as they are supposed to. The only chip-related issue I have had was last year at Jimmy John's. I inserted my NFCU Cash Rewards card and it asked for a PIN and wouldn't let me get around it. I think a lot of times it could be the terminal itself causing the issues. 

Message 11 of 19
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I have not noticed an increase of chip failure on my cards. I store them well in a leather wallet that I store in the front. Around here almost all the merchants that wanted to upgrade went out and brought new terminals in 2015-2016. Merchants that are upgrading now usually include a new terminal in the process. Newish terminals plus new chip cards that I got in the past year or two and the error rate is almost zero. The only time I had a chip malfunction was when I goofed and failed to fully insert the card to the point that it clicks in so that was user error. The other time I had an issue was because I had two cards with the same number(original and duplicate) and came to a chip terminal with the original. That obviously did not work right since the duplicates codes were the only ones active at the bank. Overall it depends on the area you are in and the merchants you are purchasing from. Most chip terminals will litely scrape the card that with a lot of insertions will cause damage that will just get cleared up by the 3 year replacement. Realistically the chip is quite durable compared to most plastic cards and only weak on cards that are metal with obvious reason. The chip cards should be able to last 3 years to their replacement. It also really matters who made the card since CPI, Gemalto, and Perfect Plastic Printing make most of the good cards. Valid USA and TSYS also make some of the smaller quality cards. There are many banks but there are only a few card manufacturers that make the good plastic that banks can print on.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 12 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I can't speak for Synchrony,. But I've had numerous card replacements from Captial One for various reasons, including chip failures and maganetc stripe failures. The card number has never changed, but the expiration date has always changed.

When something fails, I always assume it's the terminal before taking action. If the same thing happens at another terminal, it's time to blame the card. In the short term, the cashier can enter the card number manually.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: I inserted my Marvel card today at a different store an the first time it said "chip malfunction" i had pushed it all the way in until it clicked, then I jammed it upward while inserting and it went through. I honestly have no clue what the issue is I shouldn't have to forcefully push the card in an up to get the machine to read the chip.
Message 14 of 19
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I was doing some back to school/clothes shopping for my daughters and ended up at a Victorias Secret. $96 total.
Insert BoA AAA Rewards, bad chip error/decline/fraud alert text. Clear the alert via text

Insert Chase FU bad chip error/decline/another fraud alert text. Cleared via text.

Insert Discover, same...

Told the girl her register is out of whack and to try another one as something on their end is spooking my card issuers!

Used a neighboring register with Chase FU and it worked no problem.

I've got at least 1000 swipes/dips on most of my cards and that was the biggest issue I've had to date. Other than that, a certain Frys Electronics has to manually enter my Discover, but it works normally at all the others Fry's that I've been to.

Message 15 of 19
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Update: I inserted my Marvel card today at a different store an the first time it said "chip malfunction" i had pushed it all the way in until it clicked, then I jammed it upward while inserting and it went through. I honestly have no clue what the issue is I shouldn't have to forcefully push the card in an up to get the machine to read the chip.

This.  You need to make sure the card is fully inserted.  It takes a push until the card stops.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 16 of 19
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

The only card I've had to replace for a chip issue so far is my Target RedCard.  One time, it took six or seven tries (and a cashier who rubbed the chip with a piece of fabric) for it to work.  My two gripes is there is no fallback for the card if the chip fails (the terminal provided one after three failed attempts but there is no mag stripe on the new RedCards) and Target "deactivates" your account when you order a replacement, yet the replacement card has the exact same info (including security code).

Message 17 of 19
Artemis092
Regular Contributor

I've had to replace my Amex BCE due to chip malfunction. I had it about a year. Amex just sent me a new card my number stayed the same but the three digit security code changed. Issue date remained the same as well.

If you build it, they will come.

Amex BCE | Amex ED | BofA Rewards | Citibank DC | CitiBank Best Buy | Discover IT | Chase Amazon Prime | Chase Freedom | Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The Marvel superhero's are trying to save you from overspending. I honestly have not had any issues with any of my Chip cards. Do you live in a massively over-populated place like anywhere in California or NYC/Chicago/Philadephia etc? Just wondering if the places you frequent need to replace their machines already. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.