cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone keep their gas credit card in their car?

tag
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone keep their gas credit card in their car?

@DrForce wrote:

Like many on here, I have a credit card that I use for gas purchases only, the Penfed Cash Rewards card, that gives 5% back at gas stations and 0% on everything else. Since I only use this card when I'm at the pump and with my car, I thought it would be nice to lighten the wallet a little and leave the Penfed card in my car at all times rather than carry it. I figured if I could find a good hiding spot, it would prevent someone from finding it even if my car was broken into.

Does anyone else keep their gas card permanently in their car? Would I still have zero liability if the card were stolen in a break in? Are there any other issues I should know about? Thanks all! 

Did you donate to become a member, military personnel, or join some other way if I may ask? I'm considering getting this card.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 21 of 25
creditfan
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I mainly use speedpass for gas, but of course that only works if you use ExxonMobil

+1

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep my gas card in the center console. Nobody will know it's there. It's hidden. The chance of it being stolen is so low and if so cancel it and dispute the charge.

I park in a garage at night tho.

Also... if you are worried does your glove box lock? If so use that and lock it. Even your trunk since you have to get out anyway to pump the gas. Keep a Tupperware container in your trunk with a Cc and any other things you want-or a baggie... or anything else you want to keep it in.

Message 23 of 25
iced
Valued Contributor

@DrForce wrote:

Like many on here, I have a credit card that I use for gas purchases only, the Penfed Cash Rewards card, that gives 5% back at gas stations and 0% on everything else. Since I only use this card when I'm at the pump and with my car, I thought it would be nice to lighten the wallet a little and leave the Penfed card in my car at all times rather than carry it. I figured if I could find a good hiding spot, it would prevent someone from finding it even if my car was broken into.

Does anyone else keep their gas card permanently in their car? Would I still have zero liability if the card were stolen in a break in? Are there any other issues I should know about? Thanks all! 

I do not keep a gas card (or any card for that matter) in my car. This wouldn't work for me since I have no idea what car I'll be driving when it's time to get gas.

As for liability, it would be the same as if someone stole your wallet. As soon as you know it's gone, report it stolen. As long as your card isn't repeatedly stolen, I don't see a bank raising too many questions about it.

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@DrForce wrote:

I do not keep a gas card (or any card for that matter) in my car. This wouldn't work for me since I have no idea what car I'll be driving when it's time to get gas.

As for liability, it would be the same as if someone stole your wallet. As soon as you know it's gone, report it stolen. As long as your card isn't repeatedly stolen, I don't see a bank raising too many questions about it.

Exactly, you're not liable for charges you don't make. Just don't put it in plain sight asking for your window to be smashed and you're fine.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.