cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know anything about Secured AMEX by USAA??

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone know anything about Secured AMEX by USAA??

I talked to the DBF, and we've decided that the MC is going to be our best bet, since it's more widely accepted than AMEX. Also we are definitely getting married in the next six months. I ran the score simulator here at myfico and it said by opening this card my credit would / could improve by up to 20 pts. I guess my next question is this, do people get turned down for secured cards ever? My DBF doesn't have great credit, mines ok, but not great. Do you think we will be approved for this card?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 16
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

webhopper, we had a USAA rep here and she had told me the AmEx was only offered to full members (members eligible for insurance), I wonder if that has changed. She had told me I'd only be eligible for a certain MC or Visa as a partial member, I forget the actual name of the card.

If applying with your DBF, he'd probably be eligible for full membership and the AmEx or a bigger selection of Visa/MCs.
Message 12 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your post! When I talked to the DBF he was excited that I had talked with usaa on our behalf. Hes definitely eligible for full membership, being honorably discharged as a sgt in 05 from USMC. He is going to get quotes for our car insurances there, right now we are with state farm. The plan is to use my bonus check as the security CD which will be jointly owned and app for the MC at least 30 days after closing on the house. When we get married will I have full membership rights??

If usaa CC products treat us right, I could see having both the joint secured card and a individual card with them. I've been on the market for a card with great customer service and I think this may be the thong I've been lookIng for. Other secured product reviews had me concerned with getting more aggravation than it was worth.
FICO 9:

Message 13 of 16
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

I would say you'd be entitled to full membership after you are married. I'm sure we have forum members who can answer that from experience though, so I'll defer to them. Good Luck with everything!
Message 14 of 16
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Yes, Once you are married you will be a full member with USAA and have access to all investment, credit and insurance products. I am a full member with USAA and also affiliated with NFCU through my job as a defense contractor. When I joined USAA I switched all of my insurance products to them. In my case, their pricing couldn't be even closely matched by other companies. In fact I was able to get upgrades in coverage limits, etc. and still stay below other quotes.

Their CSR's on the insurance side have been excellent. Haven't dealt with the CC side. I carry a USAA Visa for the last year. Just no need to communicate. And as far as mortgage loan goes, WELL.... we'll leave that topic alone. My mortgage is through them and the servicing reps are good.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the feedback!  We are thinking of switching our auto insurance to them, and maybe even the two house insurances. Better rates in insurance would be great.  Also, I'm in the market to pick up some additional life since I decided to let my Farmers insurance lapse.   I think for me, as long as the CSR's are good, I would be happy.  Also, we aren't in the market for a mortgage loan at any time.  I've got two mortgages, one on an investment property, and I'll be closing on a new primary residence next week!!  So excited about the new home and moving forward with our life Smiley Happy

FICO 9:

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.