Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know if Barclays has a hardship program

tag
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

Anyone know if Barclays has a hardship program

if hsrd financial times come do they have a hardship program to reduce interest rates and  payments for a period of time

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone know if Barclays has a hardship program

Most lenders have some sort of hardship program, but I don't know about Barclays specifically. Might be best to call them and ask.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Most lenders have some sort of hardship program, but I don't know about Barclays specifically. Might be best to call them and ask.

Exactly.  It's best to get this kind of information straight from the horse's mouth

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly.  It's best to get this kind of information straight from the horse's mouth

Until you ask and they lower your credit limit to like 300 or 500

Message 4 of 10
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes that is what I wanted to avoid.

When my wife lost her job a few years ago she called up BOA just to inquire about hardship. She didnt even tell them she lost her job. They closed her account just off of inquiring about it. She was pissed and she rightfully should be. A simple inquiry should not raise a red flag to anyone. People just want to know options sometimes .

So I would rather not stir the pot and get them on edge for no reason.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When my wife lost her job a few years ago she called up BOA just to inquire about hardship. She didnt even tell them she lost her job. They closed her account just off of inquiring about it. She was pissed and she rightfully should be. A simple inquiry should not raise a red flag to anyone. People just want to know options sometimes .

You can check the rebuilding forum to see what experiences others had. While it won't necessarily be as accurate as asking Barclay directly, you won't risk the kind of overreaction that happened to your wife.

Message 6 of 10
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

FWIW, my personal experience with them back in 2009 was Yes, they do.  BUT, they close your acct and give you more managable min pymts to pay monthly until PIF.  So in hindsight, I don't know that it was that good of a program to #1 lose the card and have it reported to the CRA as "closed by creditor"  and #2 still have a balance reporting on a closed acct to the CRA.  I ended up getting a loan from my 401K to just pay them off so it would eventually drop off my CR entirely (which it now has Smiley Happy)

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 7 of 10
yfan
Valued Contributor

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

The solution to this one is fairly simple. Do you have access to a phone number that's not associated with any of your Barclay accounts? Call them from that number, dont mention you are a customer, say you are doing research on a new card and vetting potential lenders, and ask whether they have a hardship program.

Message 8 of 10
baller4life
Super Contributor

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that is just crazy! I'm usually team BOA. But, sometimes they can be super sensitive and overreact. Smiley Frustrated

Have you tried Google? If nothing comes up, I agree with the poster that suggested calling from a phone not associated with your account and just doing a general inquiry without giving personal info.

Message 9 of 10
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@CreditGuy03 wrote:

The solution to this one is fairly simple. Do you have access to a phone number that's not associated with any of your Barclay accounts? Call them from that number, dont mention you are a customer, say you are doing research on a new card and vetting potential lenders, and ask whether they have a hardship program.

Good Idea. 

I will try that

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.