cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know the minimum requirements and reports used for the USAA credit card products?

tag
scrubs
Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone know the minimum requirements and reports used for the USAA credit card products?

usaa is hard to get any cc, i know if i apllied i would get declined so i am going thur the backdoor. i got an secured mastercard for 1500 last aug. by next aug the card should go unsecured.

Message 11 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone know the minimum requirements and reports used for the USAA credit card products?

@Tazman81 wrote:

When you sign into your USAA account, do you have any "offers" from them?  I thought I recall reading quite a few people saying that if you had an "offer" from them then you were practically approved.

Yes, USAA preapprovals are virtually etched in stone. 

Message 12 of 43
hammertime
New Contributor

DW got USAA Platinum Cash Rewards with 4K Limit just recently.  EQ FICO 704.  Instant approval online.  Hard Pull EQ.  Soft several days later on either TU or EXP.  I don't remember which. 

Message 13 of 43
p-
Valued Contributor

@scrubs wrote:

usaa is hard to get any cc, i know if i apllied i would get declined so i am going thur the backdoor. i got an secured mastercard for 1500 last aug. by next aug the card should go unsecured.

The "My Offers" tab doesn't show any pre-approvals, but it does link to my credit card choices, none of which are secured.  How did you get a line on the secured card, through the website?

Message 14 of 43
p-
Valued Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

@BungalowMo wrote:

@Red1Blue wrote:

My Scores have been in 700 and applied 3 times and got denied. I gave up trying.

OUCH!  That sucks!  Smiley Mad

More worst than that, they have all mine and kids investment accounts / 529 / savings all adding to little over 300k with them. They still would not give me a credit card.  

I think you can call and request reconsideration; I would definitely do that.

Message 15 of 43
p-
Valued Contributor

It sounds like I might not be quite ready for this one.  Maybe I will go the secured route like scrubs suggested.  My only reservation is I hate to tie up cash I could be using to pay down other debt...  I know I won't carry a balance, so that money will just be gone for a year.

Message 16 of 43
p-
Valued Contributor

@scrubs wrote:

Did a USAA inquiry pop up on your report for the secured card?  If so, why not apply for unsecured then get secured if I'm denied?

Message 17 of 43
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@p- wrote:

It sounds like I might not be quite ready for this one.  Maybe I will go the secured route like scrubs suggested.  My only reservation is I hate to tie up cash I could be using to pay down other debt...  I know I won't carry a balance, so that money will just be gone for a year.

What my brother did was used part of the money from his 8 month emergency fund because it's unlikely that you will need all 8 months at the same time.  And if he ever did then he could either do a cash advance from the secured card, or just close out the card and get the money back from the CD.  Just a thought.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 18 of 43
p-
Valued Contributor

@Tazman81 wrote:
What my brother did was used part of the money from his 8 month emergency fund because it's unlikely that you will need all 8 months at the same time.  And if he ever did then he could either do a cash advance from the secured card, or just close out the card and get the money back from the CD.  Just a thought.

Thats not a bad idea.  I do prefer my savings to be a little more liquid though...  Did they do a hard pull on his CR before they gave him the secured card?

Message 19 of 43
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA credit card products

I contacted customer service at USAA and requested a pre-approval before they did a hard pull for a USAA credit card.  The customer service wrote back that they only do hard pull, no pre-approval.

I replied asking if they would grant a secured card if I did not qualify for the USAA card without doing a second hard pull.  I also asked for linking to the secured card information, as that card is not an option listed for me.

I will update as I see more info, suggestions appreciated.

Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.