cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know the score needed for Amex Green?

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Anyone know the score needed for Amex Green?

I was shot down the same day I was approved for Delta Gold with a 657 EX. Is there a magic number, say maybe 660 that it will approve with aside from reasons listed in the denial letter (like too many inqs)? I just realized the genius of it so that I can charge small balances and not take a hit on my CR. Before that I was anti-charge card.
Here we go again...
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone know the score needed for Amex Green?

FretlessMayhem wrote:
I was shot down the same day I was approved for Delta Gold with a 657 EX. Is there a magic number, say maybe 660 that it will approve with aside from reasons listed in the denial letter (like too many inqs)? I just realized the genius of it so that I can charge small balances and not take a hit on my CR. Before that I was anti-charge card.

Strictly from a score standpoint, 657 should be plenty to get an Amex Green.  If they denied you for too many inquiries, then they're not really concerned about your score.  They seem to be more concerned about, well, your inquiries. Smiley Wink

As far as a magic number, that's hard to say.  I would really doubt if there is a FICO threshold where they say ,"As long as your score is above this number, it doesn't matter how many inquiries you have."  Amex is famous for being extremely non-score centric.  FICO scoring isn't everything to them and actually probably means less to them than it does to most other lenders.  They're much more interested in the content of your reports.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:

FretlessMayhem wrote:

Strictly from a score standpoint, 657 should be plenty to get an Amex Green.  If they denied you for too many inquiries, then they're not really concerned about your score.  They seem to be more concerned about, well, your inquiries. Smiley Wink

As far as a magic number, that's hard to say.  I would really doubt if there is a FICO threshold where they say ,"As long as your score is above this number, it doesn't matter how many inquiries you have."  Amex is famous for being extremely non-score centric.  FICO scoring isn't everything to them and actually probably means less to them than it does to most other lenders.  They're much more interested in the content of your reports.

I agree with Cheddar striicly score I have a freind with a 589 who got Gold. It has to be something else
Message 3 of 15
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I called and tried recon on my application for Green and was shot down again. I don't know what everyone raves about recon. It's never worked for me, ever.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 15
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Looks like, You can not tell any thing about Amex. My EX was around 660 + 38 Hard Inq's. I got Platinum Card.
Message 5 of 15
Geordi
Regular Contributor

IMHO, AMEX is way too volatile to deal with at the moment. I know a lot of people would like to carry the card just because ............ myself included.

However, I wouldn't take an Amex card if I were Tiger Woods right now. It is just too, too, too many people that are getting the card, then later two weeks or six months being subjected to FR, AR, CLD, account closures and who knows what else.

In my opinion a simple no you can't have my card is preferable to one of AMEX's hands saying, "Here take my card!" and later the other AMEX hand says, "Did my other hand give you a card? Stand on one foot; stand on your head; spin like a top; no, wait, you didn't spin long enough so give me my card back!"

I instead got a couple of $5K CLs on from a CU. I will use the cards with respect and expect the credit card issuer to do the same in return.

Like I said earlier, just my humble opinion but YMMV Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 15
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Concord, did you have any derogs when you applied?
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 15
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

FretlessMayhem wrote:
Concord, did you have any derogs when you applied?

As giordi said, there is no telling about Amex. After Platinum, I applied for JetBlue and Blue, I am declined for both cards. I am not going to loose my sleep. I am carrying a credit card from CU and another card from FNB Omaha both $5k CL. That is how it is going to be for next few months.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just let AMEX feel you out a bit-

After a few months- those INQ's won't be important

How many do you have anyways?

FretlessMayhem wrote:

Message 9 of 15
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

32 on EX, before I knew that inquiries actually mattered.
Here we go again...
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.