cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone pick the Sapphire over Preferred?

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Re: After reading your post im extra happy i got the regular...

@darkfrosty wrote:

i originally had a saphhire then about a year later called them up and changed it to sapphire preferred

Did it cost you an extra inquiry or was that done without a pull?

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 21 of 26
nickn86
Contributor

I agree with most of the above.  In general, there is almost never any reason to be scared off by a card that has an annual fee that is waived for the first year.  Better to sign up for the annual fee version, get the lucrative sign-up bonus (which are generally only available on AF cards) and then product change/cancel before the fee becomes do.  This is especially easy to do with the Sapphire.

Right now I have five cards (see sig) with an annual fee that's waived for the first year.  I will be canceling/product changing 4 of them.  Will probably keep Sapphire.

Also, if you're intent on applying for a no fee card, don't get the Sapphire.  If you want a dining card, the Citi Forward is far superior to the standard Sapphire.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 22 of 26
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone pick the Sapphire over Preferred?

No inquiry I was told .. I asked multiple times with different people before I ok'd it
CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 23 of 26
bribro
Valued Contributor

The regular Sapphire card is really just a 2x restaurant card, that's it. You lose a lot when you downgrade from CSP. However, it's still very useful card when you have another "premium" Chase card that allows UR partner transfers. I'll probably downgrade my CSP to CS when the AF comes due since I currently have two other Chase cards that allow me to transfer.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 24 of 26
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@lolabelle wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:
There isn't much point having the normal sapphire. Transferability is what UR is all about, and if you don't get that there are far better options out there. A straight 2% cash back no AF card would be an alternative.

I'm curious about this.  What other Chase cards with no annual fee would you recommend in lieu of the regular Sapphire?

In terms of no AF cards, the Freedom is your only likely option unless you like Disney. The Slate also has no AF but it has no rewards.

Much like Amex who targets high spenders, Chase's products are also heavily tilted towards AF-rewards cards .

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 25 of 26
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

I got the regual Sapphire because I don't travel but I wanted another Chase card that I can use when I'm only using my Freedom for the 5%. I've managed to rack up $300.80 in cash back between the two cards in the last year so in the future I can finally take a trip and at least have some part of it paid for without me having to do anything different. 

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.