cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone recently get asked by Cap One about upgrading to contactless EMV?

tag
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

Anyone recently get asked by Cap One about upgrading to contactless EMV?

A friend of mine told me he got an email from Cap One offering this, and I was wondering if anyone on here has recently? It seemed out of the blue, as he doesn't even use his Quicksilver anymore, due to having a DoubleCash.

Kind of funny if they really are about to roll this out because not even a week ago I randomly decided to say my card was damaged so they would replace it with a chip, since it was my only outstanding swipe only card, and I got bored.

The email referred to it as contactless chip.

Capital One said they would email me when my replacement shipped but I haven't gotten an email about that yet either. Maybe this is causing them to lag.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone recently get asked by Cap One about upgrading to contactless EMV?

I got the offer this morning.

Message 2 of 25
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Kind of dumb of them to ask if you want an upgrade, they should just send the replacement, I mean it is required of them to do so unless of course they want all the liability resting on them.
Message 3 of 25
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
Kind of dumb of them to ask if you want an upgrade, they should just send the replacement, I mean it is required of them to do so unless of course they want all the liability resting on them.

EMV and contactless EMV are two separate things. 

Message 4 of 25
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@-Cal- wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

EMV and contactless EMV are two separate things. 

Indeed they are, I just focused on the EMV, good looking out. 

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Contactless cards are the RFID cards, which are not a good idea unless you have the signal blocking wallet. Also, how lazy can a person be to think "oh, swiping or inserting my card is such a chore!!!" Psssh...
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Contactless cards are the RFID cards, which are not a good idea unless you have the signal blocking wallet. Also, how lazy can a person be to think "oh, swiping or inserting my card is such a chore!!!" Psssh...

If your card has an EMV chip, then it uses NFC (near field communication), not traditional RFID.  NFC has a range of about an inch, so if someone is going to read your card number from your pocket, then they have to be awkwardly close to you.  It's still easier for someone to steal your credit card number from an electromagnetic frequency that virtually every credit card broadcasts--visible light.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which can be done in any city that has, say, a subway system... Face it, as long as people have money, there will be those who'll try to take it from you, hook or crook.
Message 8 of 25
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, it's not about being lazy, but experiencing the new technology. It doesn't provide an advantage speed wise over Android Pay most likely but that isn't important to me. Tech for the sake of tech.

I'm also not worried about the potential for theft because I live in a fairly rural area and if it does happen I/Capital One will notice the fraudulent transactions quickly and send me a new card.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I'm just waiting for that skin embedded microchip to be introduced, magically waving one's hand at the cashier... Baaaahahaha!!! "Shoo, peasant"... LoL!!!
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.